• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How many miles you getting from a tank of fuel?

I'm averaging about 18mpg, up about 3mpg from last two months. This time last year and over the past 5 years my average MPG was 22-24 mpg. Sometime in Dec it dropped like a rock as well as all the other family cars. We noticed an almost 20% decrease across the board over the same time period. Personally I think the oil industry did something besides raise prices.

I think im gettin about 10 mpg right now.... Need to fix that stupid o2 sensor. On my other XJ, I was gettin about 350-400 highway (in the mountains too). City was more along the lins of 250-350.

I have owned my 90 since new and get 16 to 22. It is not unusual to see a drop in the fall. The gas composition changes during the winter months which is normal and has been going on for decades. Some see a change in MPG and some don't.

in warm weather my 99 gives me about about 270 miles and in the coldest weeks i get as low as 195!!! but usually closer to 230.. i am a leadfoot but the northeast is one of those areas that gets "winter gas" its got some kind of change to the formula that doesnt do much more than make me me need more of it... sounds like a racket to me....

mike

It really depends on how I drive it, but my 95 4.0l/aw4 with 87K gets about 250 around town and 350 on the hwy---IF I take it easy on it. If I drive with a lead foot I get HORRIBLE gas mileage around town.

I usually put 16-17 gallons in when I fill it up so it comes out to about 16 city/20 hwy.

not to hijack a thread or anything, but.....how big should the tank be on my 87? it took just over 16 today (REAL LOW on gas)

yuppiexj said:
I got 380 on my fillup this morning...I did the gas tank mod to cram in 5 more gallons...
not bad for 32's with 4.56 gears eh?
Tank Mod?
What sort of mod are we talkin' here?

imma honky said:
I think im gettin about 10 mpg right now.... Need to fix that stupid o2 sensor. On my other XJ, I was gettin about 350-400 highway (in the mountains too). City was more along the lins of 250-350.

Holy Crap!!! How in the world do you manage that? I didn't even think it was possible. I feel worried scraping around 270 and that's mostly highway

I get roughly 300 give or take, depending upon weather and if i decide to be a leadfoot or not. that was stateside. In germany I get prolly 250 to a tank of gas 'cuz of the autobahns and stop and go traffic is always present in rural germany. In iraq, I dont even keep track, I just fill up whichever truck i have when I get it, that way I dont run out of gas!

Kristen

Except for when I drove to Butler, PA (6 hour trip), I've never had anything better than 17mpg. I typically fill up at an 1/8th of a tank since I still have 5 gallons left (that really makes no sense though). I do mostly highway driving, just home to school to home, but once in a while city.

That trip to PA I got about 360 miles to the tank, going 85 the whole way w/o any traffic.

evilpresence said:
I typically fill up at an 1/8th of a tank since I still have 5 gallons left (that really makes no sense though).

Mine's the same way on my 95 Country. The gas light comes on when I still have 5 or six gallons left. It makes no sense to me either.

Sorry for the hijack, I just had to comment on that. :rof:

imma honky said:

You have that new ROBO F4971 18-wheeler gas tank don't you?

I am getting about the same since December - 250-270 per tank. My wife used to get about 30mpg in her '03 Camry and now it's about 22mpg.

And where I live, that's at about $1.79 per gallon for 87 - .10-.15 more in Chicago city limits.

I guess GW Bush needs campaign contributions from oil companies for the election so they must be soaking us leftys.

xjblaine said:
not to hijack a thread or anything, but.....how big should the tank be on my 87? it took just over 16 today (REAL LOW on gas)

The gas tank is 20 gallons but the last 3 to 4 gallons you have to nurse in because of a poor filler neck design. After the pump clicks just nurse a little at a time then you can get all 20 in. Of course this is bad for the purge valve in the E.V.A.P. system if you overfill the tank all of the time.
Joe

I get about 10 miles to the gallon right no in the winter with 3.5" lift and lots of extra weight and 31" tires. In summer 13 to 14 mpg. I have a 99 WJ (Grand Cherokee) with 31" tires and a 4.7 V8 which blows the doors off my XJ and it gets 14 to 22 mpg all year. Go figure.
Joe

Back