• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heres one for ya.

imma honky

NAXJA Forum User
**I have not removed the 91 cluster to look, since it's my DD and I can't have it outta commision.

So, anyways. I broke the needle in my 91 gas guage. Will just the guage from a pre 91 work in the cluster? (I have two full pre-91 clusters to take from). It's only been a few days, but i'm tired of having to fill up every two days b/c I don't know how much gas is in there.
TIA.

Not certain, but I'm going to guess no.

I don't remember which way is which, but for some inexplicable reason DCX reversed the way the gauges operate. On the 90s and earlier, if you remove the wire from the fuel or temp or oil pressure sender, the gauge spikes to one end of the dial, and if you ground the wire next to the sender it spikes to the opposite end of the dial.

On the 91 and newer ones, you get the same effect except in the opposite direction. i.e. if grounding the wire for an 88 put the needle all the way to the right, grounding the wire on a 91 pegs the needle all the way to the left.

In addition to Eagle's caveats above, they also changed the internals of the pre-91's at least once, so that the gauges from, for example, an 87, will not fit an 89. The entire cluster will, but the circuit boards and internal mounting points are different.

imma honky said:
Dang. Was hoping I had an easy fix.

Unlikely.

"It's a Jeep thing, ..."

Did the just the plastic (arrow) part of the needle come off or the entire thing (metal rod as well)?

Scriff said:
Did the just the plastic (arrow) part of the needle come off or the entire thing (metal rod as well)?
metal rod broke off, then the needle broke off the black part. It's not a HUGE problem, just a nuisance. I'm gonna sit around and keep an eye out for a complete new cluster.

Eagle said:
Not certain, but I'm going to guess no.

I don't remember which way is which, but for some inexplicable reason DCX reversed the way the gauges operate. On the 90s and earlier, if you remove the wire from the fuel or temp or oil pressure sender, the gauge spikes to one end of the dial, and if you ground the wire next to the sender it spikes to the opposite end of the dial.

On the 91 and newer ones, you get the same effect except in the opposite direction. i.e. if grounding the wire for an 88 put the needle all the way to the right, grounding the wire on a 91 pegs the needle all the way to the left.
OK, I think this may be at the root of my problem (pegged fuel gauge on an 89) when I put in a new fuel pump. Will swapping the two ground wires on the harness to the pump fix it? Or do I need a different fuel pump?

imma honky said:
i'm tired of having to fill up every two days b/c I don't know how much gas is in there.
TIA.

My gauge is a little sketchy after I took a nice drop in an unexpected hole in a field a few months ago, I time my fill ups via my mileage. Just a thought.

Back