• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pump?

bgcntry72

NAXJA Forum User
I was wheeling my '99 last weekend and came down pretty hard a couple of times, sat in frozen 3 foot deep water, and generally neglected my rig.
Now, driving it is a true adventure.
At idle, all is well.
With the skinny pedal attached to the floor or near there, all is also well.
Anywhere in bewteen there are pops and sputters and backfires and lurching.
Come to a stop and the revs drop like a stone to 200 and it barely recovers.
Put the rig in neutral, and it idles at 700 rpms happily. Pull away from the light, and more pop, sputter, jump-type stuff.
TPS?
Fuel?
Cleaning TB tonight and checking cap and rotor and plugs.
Tomorrow I will try the TPS because I can't bear to shell out for diagnostics.
I do have a 'Check Engine' light.
I can clear it but it returns.
The problem goes away for 5 minutes sometimes.
Thanks in advance for any direction, folks.
Hasta.

bgcntry72 said:
I do have a 'Check Engine' light.

Pull the codes from the comp and this will most likely give you the answer you're looking for. Your problem can also include 02 sensors and many many other things..... Btw, OBD2 scanners can be had for as low as $99 or you can dig around as there is a way to pull the codes with key on/off method on yours.

Fuel pump is in the tank, you did not get any water in there. You did not look stuck deep enough to damage anything from water, I would look for pulled out connectors, wires, etc. from the ice and mud underneath. Also check your exhaust for possable crimping. Full votage from the alternator? Did it run OK on Saturday on on the way home Sunday?? Pull the codes??

All I can think of now.

Rev

Rufies97XJ said:
Check the 2nd O2 sensor. I know mine was bad after my first trip with you guys.. Came down very hard and pushed up the exhaust....

My man Doug comes closest to standing on the podium this time.
Before I went sensor crazy on the intake end, I decided to give the truck the once-over because I didn't have time to after Winterfest as the rig was in the shop having a quarter panel re-paneled. Crawling around I found what just may be the problem. The front O2 sensor is broken off and dangling. Anyone think that this may be contributing to my backfiring and shit milage? I do. I can't believe I was under there all weekend rebuilding the JJs and missed that!
Sidebar: Rough weekend as my rig had its drivers side window smashed and my Solo2, my GPS, and my MP3 deck were stolen while jjchgo and I were getting our drink on. That was a cold 1.5 hour drive back to Milwaukee. I was not about to leave it out in the street again!
I need a drink.
jjchgo call me again phone is fried.
Hasta.

Umm yea....that could casue some issues. Bummer on the stuff stolen, welcome to life in the big city. Let us know if that fixes it big guy.

Rev

Back