• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Up-Country Springs

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I want to give my 97XJ a 1" lift and would prefer to find some up-country springs or buy new springs soemwhere that have exact spring rate and quality.

Any ideas where I can get a set of up-country springs except from a dealership?

Also, what would be a good choice for shocks that would be equivalent to up-country shocks, with regards to ride and lengths?

Thanks,

XJ-Jeff

This might be an odd question, but why only 1" ?? It doesn't really give you anything over the stock and 235's rub with it (I had it). About 2" or more is what I'd recommend for a first step and you can do that with something else then UC springs. Also any UC springs that you get outside of the dealer are probably of a vehicle and not in the best shape: my UC leaf packs went kind of S shaped on me after two years or so on a short AAL.

In regards to shocks, I loved the RSX shocks that I had and they are good I would say till about 3" of lift (they were the ones in Rancho catalog for the 0 ~ 2/3" of lift).

OK,

I agree to go with 2" of lift, due to your advise, buy my rear springs are totally sagged so I am not that interested in AAL at this point.

What would be a good 2" lift set of front and rear springs??

Thanks,
Jeff-97XJ

Jeff-97XJ said:
OK,

I agree to go with 2" of lift, due to your advise, buy my rear springs are totally sagged so I am not that interested in AAL at this point.

Thanks,
Jeff-97XJ
Well in that case.. how much do you want to spend?? OME makes nice springs, but also you could build your own pack with dakota mains (check your local boneyard) and a mix of dakota XJ leafs and probably in your area some people have taken off their stock springs and they're willing to let them go for cheap. For front, which probably didn't sag too much I'd say get a 1.75" spacer (polyurethane) and leave the stock pieces in and you will have 2"

Kejtar said:
Well in that case.. how much do you want to spend?? OME makes nice springs, but also you could build your own pack with dakota mains (check your local boneyard) and a mix of dakota XJ leafs and probably in your area some people have taken off their stock springs and they're willing to let them go for cheap. For front, which probably didn't sag too much I'd say get a 1.75" spacer (polyurethane) and leave the stock pieces in and you will have 2"

Kejtar,
I am no mechanic and have no idea what is involved in building spring packs. I'd just like to buy something reasonable and get it put in.

If the OME isn't too expensive I might opt for that set of springs. Otherwise the spacer up front and a spring pack in rear would be just fine, I would need to know where to get the Spacer for the front, and a place to get a new springpack for the rear. There must be some kind of spring manufacturer that makes springs reasonably priced.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff-97XJ

If you're going to lift it 2" why not just do 3"? Good place to start and it's not going to look like a monster truck or anything... I used a ProComp 3" lift originally. Up front was fine but that add-a-leaf thing was about 10 years too late for my stock springs which sat pretty much horizonatally. I threw in a nice set of BDS springs. Shop around a little and see what you get the best values for.

Jeff-97XJ said:
OK,

Thanks,
Jeff-97XJ

OME ... OME ... OME

Excellent ride (most people say better than stock) and built for durability.

Guys, the man started out asking about 1" and Kevlar's pushing him to go to 2". Then y'all pile on and want him to go for 3" ...

Where does it end?

I disagree with Kejtar about the Up Country. I can run 30x9.50s on my stock '88 that does NOT have Up Country, so I find it very difficult to believe that 235s rub on a vehicle with Up Country. However, there are variations between/among vehicles, so it's possible.

Okay, so say we talked you into a 2" lift. OME springs all around will definitely give the best ride, but are "pricey." At 2", new shocks would be nice but are not necessary unless you want maximum "droop" off-road. For street and light 'froading you can run the stock shocks until they wear out.

2" (1-3/4") coil spacers can be bought just about anywhere. Even J.C. Whitney sells them, although they want too much $$$. The same spacers fit the XJ, ZJ and TJ.

Aside from OME I am not aware of anyone who sells a full leaf pack for the XJ at a 2" lift. But Rancho sells a full-length AAL that's rated at 2" to 2-1/2" of lift. It costs about $65 and any shop or garage can install it.

The disadvantage to doing a budget boost of this type (front coil spacers and rear AAL) is that the AAL makes the rear spring stiffer, but the coil spacer does NOT make the front springs stiffer. It isn't that the rear becomes uncomfortable ... I think the stock springs are too soft and that the ride is better with an AAL ... but on some types of road surface the unmatched spring rates may cause some slight pitching in the ride. I don't find this objectionable, but it's not as balanced or as comfortable as buying all new springs from OME.

I had 235/75-15 on my 91 sport with no lift. Don't remember any rubbing. Then again I didn't have it long before going to 3 inches either, and I didn't wheel it at that time.

I thought that the up-country had the same springs as other XJ's just that it had blocks between axle and spring. Or am I wrong? (like I have to ask, cause if I am someone is sure to point that out.)

.02 Daryl

JEONLYEP said:
I thought that the up-country had the same springs as other XJ's just that it had blocks between axle and spring. Or am I wrong? (like I have to ask, cause if I am someone is sure to point that out.)

.02 Daryl

No blocks. Taller springs.

Eagle said:
I disagree with Kejtar about the Up Country. I can run 30x9.50s on my stock '88 that does NOT have Up Country, so I find it very difficult to believe that 235s rub on a vehicle with Up Country. However, there are variations between/among vehicles, so it's possible.

My fine feathery friend..... disagree all you want :D, but I did rub pretty badly with UC. I rubbed to the point that a month later I had about 3".

The difference between 1" and 2" isn't much. For that matter the difference between 2" and 3" isn't that much either.... and when you start talking about a $700 setup for springs coils and shocks I look at it from $$ perspective that sometimes going slightly more might cost less. Yes, things are never simple, but they are not that complicated either: mismatched front and rear? yeah, you might be onto something there, but I don't really recall anyone complaining about it....

JEONLYEP said:
Really? I could have sworn that when I was looking under my father-in-laws 96 country it had blocks. I know he didn't put them there, but then again, he bought it used.

well Country and Up-Country are two different animals..... Up-Country was more of a package that could have been added onto a Sport model (maybe others as well, but I'm not sure)

Kejtar said:
My fine feathery friend..... disagree all you want :D, but I did rub pretty badly with UC. I rubbed to the point that a month later I had about 3".

The difference between 1" and 2" isn't much. For that matter the difference between 2" and 3" isn't that much either.... and when you start talking about a $700 setup for springs coils and shocks I look at it from $$ perspective that sometimes going slightly more might cost less. Yes, things are never simple, but they are not that complicated either: mismatched front and rear? yeah, you might be onto something there, but I don't really recall anyone complaining about it....

I'm with Eagle - 30x9.5 on 1999 upcountry springs in my 91, no rubbing.

xj-grin said:
I'm with Eagle - 30x9.5 on 1999 upcountry springs in my 91, no rubbing.

ok... but IIRC he has 97, so he has the newer body style and it was discussed heavily before over and over again that something changed and whereas you could stuff up to and sometimes including 30" tire on an older model, the newer ones made it harder.... so the fuct that your 91 works great with UC springs from a 99, the same springs are yielding less of a benefit on a 97+ so the question I present once again, why spend the money and effor on UC if they will allow for almost as much (or rather as little) as stock?

Kejtar said:
ok... but IIRC he has 97, so he has the newer body style and it was discussed heavily before over and over again that something changed and whereas you could stuff up to and sometimes including 30" tire on an older model, the newer ones made it harder.... so the fuct that your 91 works great with UC springs from a 99, the same springs are yielding less of a benefit on a 97+ so the question I present once again, why spend the money and effor on UC if they will allow for almost as much (or rather as little) as stock?

Well, I hear you that the wheel wells on the 97 and newer models ar a bit smaller - but this same combo, upcountry springs and 30x9.5 were on my 99 originally without any rubbing (ecco wheels).

Having said that, I do agree with Ketjar that you will likely find 2" for as little if not cheaper than some used upcountry's, and will definately be able to run your 30's without any problem.

Also, to clear up the "upcountry block" discussion - upcountry's are not blocks, they are rearched stock springs (same # of packs) in the rear, and IIFC the XJ upcountry coils are the same part # as stock ZJ coils...

xj-grin said:
Also, to clear up the "upcountry block" discussion - upcountry's are not blocks, they are rearched stock springs (same # of packs) in the rear, and IIFC the XJ upcountry coils are the same part # as stock ZJ coils...

Actually they are a wee bit beefier (thicker) then stock leafs: I had both sets laying next to each other for comparison.

Back