• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to get brake lines?

Karlm

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of cleaning up a D44 to sling under my jeep. In need to know a good source for the brake lines that go to both wheel cylinders. I'm probably just going to get a SS brake line to go from the hard line to the axle. Thanks a lot.

There are two companies who advertise in the back of all the 4WD magazines that make custom-bent brake lines. One is Classic Tubing, I don't remember the name of the other one. I bought pre-bent tubes for a Dana 44 I got out of a junkyard. IIRC they ran about $40 for both sides of the junction block. They are complete with spring wrap, just like the originals.

HOWEVER -- they screwed it up the first time. When I placed the order I asked at least three times if they were certain they had a pattern for an XJ Dana 44 and they assured me they did. They didn't. The lines I received were bent in the wrong places, and were too long. My guess is they might have been for a full-size Cherokee/Wagoneer Dana 44, maybe even the wider axle used on the so-called "wide wheel" option.

So in the end I had to take the old lines off the axle, and ship them back along with the new lines I couldn't use. The second try came out okay, but they didn't send back my old lines so I no longer have a genuine OEM template.

The less expensive route is to just buy straight brake line at a parts store, trim it to the right length and re-flare one end, and bend it yourself.

i spent $20 on a good tubing bender and another $10 on preflared tubing.. cal he dealer if you want a good laugh.. they told me $94 for the short side tude and it was in Phoenix!!! i don't think so.... buy a few pieces and take some time to bend your own.... mike

Hey Eagle, I went with anther company since you had problems witht he one, and sure enought, they screwed it up too. I even have the invoice where is says XJ Cherokee dana 44 and it was still way off. I'll have to call them up tomorrow and get things made right.

Karlm said:
Hey Eagle, I went with anther company since you had problems witht he one, and sure enought, they screwed it up too. I even have the invoice where is says XJ Cherokee dana 44 and it was still way off. I'll have to call them up tomorrow and get things made right.

Ya gotta love it.

Dunno how they can be so sure they have it right and still get it so wrong. I still think they don't know there are two different Cherokees, and that what they sent me might have fit my brother's old full-size Cherokee with the wide wheel option. I can't think of any other explanation for getting it SOOO wrong. But they were pretty good about re-doing it for free ... but it cost me double shipping, and I no longer have my original template because my old lines didn't come back with the new ones. Gotta get another set off a Dana 44 somewhere, I guess.

If there's a next time, I think I'll do like SidRipTide and bend my own. I got carried away and wanted the spring wrap gravel shield.

Back