• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help??91 Xj

cbert1234

NAXJA Forum User
Heres a good one for you!!I have a 91 Cherokee, motor was rebuilt 6000 ago, having some weird things happen, I think its going to take a jeep pro to answer this one. When I make a right hand turn and hit the gas the jeep wants to stall out the RPM's drop 1000-1200 and then fly back up after about 3-4 seconds on stalling, the vehicle doesnt shut off, but the RPM's drop way down then fly back up, and it is only on a right hand turn!!ANY IDEAS OF WHAT IT COULD BE??PLEASE REPLY!!

cbert1234 said:
Thought about that but have no idea what to chekc for!!thanks for your reply!!

Might be something in the stearing colunm. :dunno: what else it could be.

Does your cat converter make rattling noises at idle or even at low speed if so the honeycomb inside it might be shifting and completely blocking your exhaust causing the stalling situation...If its not rattling try looking for ground wires the one from motor to firewall or battery to fender or battery to engine block passenger side...
luck
themud

Cbert, this sounds like the fuel is sloshing away from the fuel pump pickup on hard right turns. If I remember correctly, there's a section of neoprene hose that connects the pump output to the assembly. The hose may be loose or cracked, letting air into the fuel line when making sharp right turns.

Try completely filling up the fuel tank, and see if it still does it......

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
Cbert, this sounds like the fuel is sloshing away from the fuel pump pickup on hard right turns. If I remember correctly, there's a section of neoprene hose that connects the pump output to the assembly. The hose may be loose or cracked, letting air into the fuel line when making sharp right turns.

Try completely filling up the fuel tank, and see if it still does it......

I'll try it and let you guys knwo what happens, because i was running on about 3/8's of a tank, if that is it, is there away to fix that problem besides keeping the gas full 24/7??Thanks again!!

You'll have to remove the pump assembly. Luckily, it's easy to reach on an XJ, so you don't have to drop the fuel tank.

It'll be interesting to know if the problem goes away with a full tank.....

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
You'll have to remove the pump assembly. Luckily, it's easy to reach on an XJ, so you don't have to drop the fuel tank.

It'll be interesting to know if the problem goes away with a full tank.....

Thanks for the comment it really seems as if that was the problem, as of right now it is not doing it anymore on right hand turns, I'll wait to see what happens when I reach a 1/4 tank again. another question you may know of, I had the engine rebuilt 6000 ago, well on your valve cover there are 2 hoses, one goes to the air filter and the other returns to the engine, well it was all replaced when I had the engine rebuilt, well my jeep had been runing terrible as of late so I took it back to the engine shop and they said that the rear hose on the valve cover was full of hard oil and air wasnt flowing through it, and because of that it was causing the front hose to suck oil, and that is why I had oil in my air filter. they cleaned it and it seems to run better, but is that suppose to happen like that, every 6000 I'll have to clean that hose out??Sounds odd to me, any sugg.?THANKS AGAIN!!!

Last edited:
The engine shop was correct. The small hose going to the intake manifold is part of the PCV system. If it clogs, blow-by gases will go out the larger hose into the air filter. (Normally, the larger hose is for the PCV intake.)

It's a good idea to clean the small hose regularly. It can be compared to replacing the PCV valve on other engines. The hose may have been partially clogged when the engine was rebuilt, and so it clogged completely at 6000 miles. Normally they'll stay clean longer than that.

Good luck with the fuel problem. It's an easy fix if and when you get ready to do it.....

Well like I said they replaced that rear hose when they rebuilt the engine it still had the sticker on it, and somehow it is already clogged at 6000 miles, should it be clogged that fast, after a rebuild??and about the gas problem when you say remove the pump assembly, is that outside the tank??and when I remove it what am I looking for?? thanks

Oops, I missed the part about the pcv hose being new. Don't know why it would clog that quickly......maybe you were getting a lot of blow-by until the piston rings seated???

On my 89, the pump assembly consists of the pump, fuel gauge sender, and the bracket that holds them. It's inside the tank. You'll have to block up the rear so there's room to work from underneath. Then the wiring and fuel hose needs to be disconnected, and then the hold-down ring for the pump itself. You'll need to use a brass drift or wooden dowel when tapping the ring off. (Sparks are a no-no, as is smoking. :smoker: ) I would suggest replacing the pump and hose, if you are that far into it.....

You may want to check the inside of the valve cover. Mine was pretty carboned up the first time I looked. You can take it apart and clean each part easily.

After I replaced my fuel pump, my engine stalls on right hand turns just before the low fuel light comes on. check out www.go.jeep-xj.info and learn how to get upto 5 gal. more in your tank!

well I'm now waiting for warm weather it was nice here in michigan today, but very on and off with the rain so in a few more weeks I might try to tear into the thing, but for now it seems to run a lot better with more gas in it, again thanks for eevrything!!!

Back