• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Np242 Sye?

Yucca-Man

NAXJA Member # 683
I didn't see anything in search, but I know of a whopping one person who has an NP242 and a SYE. He used an RE Hack-n-Tap on it but I don't know if any other mods were done.

The reason I'm asking is that I was sent http://www.polytropia.com/cherokee/sye.html for review by a guy who wants to do and SYE on his XJ w/242. It looks like a lot of unneeded work, mainly so the author could remove the mainshaft and have a machineshop cut and tap for him. Am I right, or did I miss something?

So the question is, are there any other options for an SYE on a 242, or is this it? If the whole assembly were to be ripped open like that are there any upgrades available in terms of heavier chain (similar to the 231D) or a heavier-duty mainshaft? The whole thing could have been done without cracking the case...couldn't it?

Yep, got one in my 242, give Tom Woods a call, he'll give you what you need.

I let him know about the Tom Woods site. Thanks for the info!

Jim

Tom Woods kit also includes the SYE and the modification to the tail cone.
I think $300 is a fair price for what he does and how soon he gets it back to you.
but for $300 I have a whole NP242 with all new seals and chain with a Tom Woods SYE on it(0 miles on build) :D

Back