• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

has this been done

maineiac

NAXJA Forum User
i noticed when i was looking at transfer cases that the dana 20 in the early ford broncos was a drivers side front shaft iron case has anyone tried to mate one to a jeep xj ? and would it even be worth looking into

maineiac said:
i noticed when i was looking at transfer cases that the dana 20 in the early ford broncos was a drivers side front shaft iron case has anyone tried to mate one to a jeep xj ? and would it even be worth looking into

The biggest reason I wouldn't swap a 20 in is because it's still chain driven (like a 231 or 242).
Billy

I did a quick look through AA and novak's site. I didn't see info on putting a 20 behind an AW-4 or AX-15's. Doesn't mean it can't be done though.

AA lists an adapter for the dana 18/20 to 1980 and newer jeep auto trans pn.50-8601 for 21 spline
and pn.50-8602 for23 spline what is this trans 21 or 23 spline and will the bolt pattern be different between jeep and ford

oh, AX-15's are 23 spline outputs. AW-4's are either 21 or 23 spline outputs, I'm not sure if anyone has figured out for sure which year AW4's had 21 or 23 spline outputs, short of pulling the t-case off and looking.

Back