• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock Rails Question

Urban Redneck

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to buy rock rails. It is a toss up between Kevin's and Rocky Road Outfitters. :dunno: The one thing that Kevin's doesn't do is mount to the pinch seam. Is this, you all of your opinions, a problem? I am looking to keep the cost below $300, so if you know of anyother rails that mount to the pinch seam and are square steel, let me know! :dunno:

I'm building my own rock rails with some welding help from a buddy. We are making them from 2x4" steel tubing and a piece of 4x4" tubing. We cut the 4x4 in half length-wise to make the supports and these are being mounted directly to the frame with a notch for pinch seam.(If anybody knows why this is a bad idea- please let me know!) We are mounting them about where the jack points are on the seam. Most of the rails I see on the web are mounted to the frame, either welded or bolted. we are putting a triangle-shaped backing plate on the supports and welding that to the frame. I got a 20' piece of the 2x4 from the steel yard for $22. The 4x4 was left over from making the rear bumper, we had enough of it to make the 4 supports. The rails are kinda pricey, I thought and with a welder, it's fairly easy to create your own.

Last edited:
I would say you definatly want them to bolt to the pinch seam since they take the brunt of the force. Take a look at ajsoffroadarmor.com, I have his 2x4 rails and they are AWSOME!

96xjeeper said:
I would say you definatly want them to bolt to the pinch seam since they take the brunt of the force. Take a look at ajsoffroadarmor.com, I have his 2x4 rails and they are AWSOME!

Thanks for the link to the photos-(http://www.ajsoffroadarmor.com/RockRails/images/Ultimate2x4_01.jpg- ) -That is pretty much what I am planning. 'cept with only 2 supports(2x4channel tho'), after seeing those pix; I will probably add some pinch seam attachments too. My buddy thinks welding all these attachments will be fine, any cons to this?

Smiley; does C4x4 rails mean I should search the posts? Thx-RJ

rj454 said:
Thanks for the link to the photos-(http://www.ajsoffroadarmor.com/RockRails/images/Ultimate2x4_01.jpg- ) -That is pretty much what I am planning. 'cept with only 2 supports(2x4channel tho'), after seeing those pix; I will probably add some pinch seam attachments too. My buddy thinks welding all these attachments will be fine, any cons to this?

Smiley; does C4x4 rails mean I should search the posts? Thx-RJ

these are just the rock rails i run... the double tube rails by custom4x4

I have the C4x4 2x4's and love them... 245 from Jeepin.com/outfitters

If not that then def. AJ's.

RI-GID-CO! RI-GID-CO!

http://rigidco.com/RR22x.htm

I just bought a pair of these for $175. They are great. The newer version he sells are fully skidplated too. My friend has the Custom4x4 rails, and these rigidco's have at least an inch more ground clearance than his. Check them out. He's in Salt Lake City, UT.

Jared

Thanks for all the info, everyone. I just purchased the C4x4 2x4 sliders. I need them to be a step for the wife to get into the XJ, as well as a slider. I don't know if letting the wife in the XJ is a good idea, but we shall see! :roflmao:

Back