• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition cylinder won't turn...

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
90 XJ (4.0 Auto) with tilt wheel: Needing it's monthly start-up & move-around...

The key won't turn out of the 'lock' position. (Yes, it is the "right" key) Tried wiggling & tilting the wheel, and levering the shifter back & forth... no luck.

Any ex car thieves out there with advice? I have a drill and a big slide hammer :explosion but I'd rather do it with brains vs brute force.

Did you check the safety switch thing on the shifter? I forgot exactly what it's called. I remember it being plastic when I had to replace it on my 88 a couple years ago. The deal that makes sure brake is on shifter in park etc etc

turn the wheel HARD left I mean hard like hanging off the side of the steering wheel hard and try to turn the key if that don't work repeat to the right side. The wheel lock might have just got in a bind mine does it every once in a while.

If that don't work it might be the shift thing its under the dash behind the gas pedal going up the fire wall and is a little cylinder with a cable running in each side of it. Just pull the little white plug out of the cylinder and it is disabled.
The only down fall to this is that it can be shifted out of park without the key.
DIG IT!

also if that don't work there is a way to bypass everything with a jumper wire under the hood

woody said:
90 XJ (4.0 Auto) with tilt wheel: Needing it's monthly start-up & move-around...

The key won't turn out of the 'lock' position. (Yes, it is the "right" key) Tried wiggling & tilting the wheel, and levering the shifter back & forth... no luck.

Any ex car thieves out there with advice? I have a drill and a big slide hammer :explosion but I'd rather do it with brains vs brute force.
Call a locksmith, or if you have a friend who knows how to change an ignition in the same vintage GM product, it's the same column as the Jeep. (Saginaw) HTH.
Thanks,
Dan.
PS I use to be a locksmith, and have changed thousands of them.

Got a second key ??? Try that one also....

Got a steerign wheel puller? If all of the above do not work the lock needs some R & R. AKA: Locksmith.

Last edited:
well any news woody?

Most auto parts stores rent steering wheel pullers and you will also need a press for the steering wheel. very easy to do I did my chevy pickup yesterday and I do my jeep about every three months. It just uses a standard lock cylinder for a GM.
DIG IT!

First thing I will ask is it a tilt wheel? Shouldnt matter but mine wasn't. I had the same problem I reached under the dash and on top of the steering column (from under the dash) and "adjusted the two bars on the column. If when you reach up there you should find a metal bar and I beleive it is a cable incased in plastic. Anyway the metal bar is the one going from your key cylinder to your ignition swith (gives power to different items in regards to you key position). I just replaced my second one of these in roughly three months. Anyway to the drivers door side of that metal bar is the lever/cable that goes to the nss (I beleive that is where is goes). That cable has a plastic coupler And could break or come apart. This would not allow the key to go into the lock position, I hope this info helps I know it is not exactly your problem but I replaced my ignition swith (not key and cylinder) and my problem was fixed. It was rtealy hard to turn the key on at first then nothing. If nothing else this switch could be singled out by remove the two or three screws holding it onto the column and then trying to turn the key without it hooked up. good luck.

Last edited:
Hey woody where you at in N.C. I am in fayetteville area and just did my column switch today. If you need a hand or need phone advice E-mail me.

Back