• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exhaust manifold replacement...

rj454

NAXJA Forum User
I'm planning on replacing the exhaust manifold on my 93 XJ, current one is cracked. What is the consensus for aftermarket manifolds and headers? :dunno:

ChuckD said:
Save your money and weld up your old one. Check my website I have pics of mine.

Ow, oh, my neck....nice gas skid.
BTW- DW and LCA links are broke.... :doh:

Out of curiousity I priced one at the dealer and it's a lot cheaper to get a Banks or Borla header!

XJWheelie said:
Out of curiousity I priced one at the dealer and it's a lot cheaper to get a Banks or Borla header!
Yeah...I got my Borla header, Gibson cat-back and Carsound cat for less than the dealer wanted for the replacement manifold alone.

there are somenewwer style stainless steel ones on ebay for about 125 and they are reworked so they don't crack anymore but if you want a little more punch go with a borla and don't look back.

Yeah, thinking I'll go Borla- got some good input from the "Great Exhaust Mod!!! by crjeeper " thread...and a source for installs from him and JohnJohn.

I run a Banks Torque Tube header and really like it. It's pretty beefy. If you get one, I'd get some heat tape and wrap 'em good. I didn't wrap mine before I installed them and they emit a ton of heat under the hood.

Planetcat said:
I run a Banks Torque Tube header and really like it. It's pretty beefy. If you get one, I'd get some heat tape and wrap 'em good. I didn't wrap mine before I installed them and they emit a ton of heat under the hood.

That's the one I'm looking at; thx for the tip- you suggesting wrapping them all the way to the collector?

You might want to check and see if wrapping voids the warranty.

I know it will for my Borla

I Honestly would not get the banks its priced higher than the borla and its not that much of an improvement. the borla is complete back to the cat where with the banks you have to buy the extra piece.

RedXJ is right about the price. I think I paid something like $349 for header only and it's a PITA to install. They don't make a banks downtube for the XJ, but the header will fit w/the factory downtube. Also, I'd wrap them as far as you can, but that wrap is expensive and if a roll doesn't wrap the whole header, at least wrap to the first collection point.

REDXJ4FUN said:
I Honestly would not get the banks its priced higher than the borla and its not that much of an improvement. the borla is complete back to the cat where with the banks you have to buy the extra piece.

Back