• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's Trac Bar Too Long?

woodnjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished installing my new HD Trac bar mount.
It fit fine until I installed the new end.
It seems to be about 3/4 of an inch too long.

The new end is a little longer than the TRE that it replaced.
My lift is a RE 3.5 and is about 4 years old at that.
So I'm not sitting quite as high as some of the other XJ's here.
(Although I'm hoping to go as high as 6 one day)
Here's the question.
Can I cut down the Trac Bar down?
How far in is it threaded?
It takes quite a bit just to get the bolt installed through bushing and after measuring it's pushing my axle to the side at least a 1/2 inch or so.
Enough that my steering wheel is now turned to the right when the wheels are straight.
Anyone else have this problem?

don't cut it down, just call rustys and tell them. They will probablly send you eighter a new end or the whole track bar.
Maybe you could also slap some coil spacer in there to get some added lift and make the track bar fit. I recall it fitting 4-6" lifts I could be wrong though. Good luck

Fore Wheeler said:
take the jam nut off, that'll shorten it enough.

I had thought about that.
Will that be OK to leave that off and just torque the end down?

Hunter-Lynchburg said:
have you tried turning the wheel to center the body over the axle? this is easier with 2 people, but with 1 just le tthe wheel lock to keep it all in place while you slip the bolt through.

Hunter
Yep, Thats how I was able to get the Bolt in thru the new end.
However, after measuring it looks like my front end sits to one side (passenger) by a half inch or so.

But my suspension lift appears to have settled too.
It always did have a slight tilt towards the front anyway.

I did talk to Rusty's and they stated that I could safely leave of the jam nut until I boost the lift back up with some spacers.
Wonder which color I should get? What goes well with wood grain?
Anywho, Besides all that the install went smooth and new piece looks like it'll hold up well. And the front end side to side travel is eliminated. And it doesn't "wander" like my CJ5.

woodnjeep said:
Yep, Thats how I was able to get the Bolt in thru the new end.
However, after measuring it looks like my front end sits to one side (passenger) by a half inch or so.

But my suspension lift appears to have settled too.
It always did have a slight tilt towards the front anyway.

I did talk to Rusty's and they stated that I could safely leave of the jam nut until I boost the lift back up with some spacers.
Wonder which color I should get? What goes well with wood grain?
Anywho, Besides all that the install went smooth and new piece looks like it'll hold up well. And the front end side to side travel is eliminated. And it doesn't "wander" like my CJ5.

It worked fine on my 4.5in look how many threads are left...

I would not remove the jam nut.

I and afew friends have had death wobble due to a loose track bar, either frame or axle end bolts of even jam nuts.

The new threads may make it feal good and tight now with no nut but in a short time those threads will get loose.

No the end will not fall out, but it will be alowed to move a litte and thats not good.

Id keep the jam nut and live with the .5in off set axle for afew weeks.

good luck.
keep it safe...

I'v only got 3 in of lift and it fit fine.......still had at least 1in+ to thread the end in......have you looked for a nut that is thiner / looked at cutting the one you have down??

Actually, It looks like the threading on the new end doesn't go as far up as it could probably go. There's at least inch (not including weld build up) before the thread starts.

Back