• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Lockers

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, I'm looking at Detroit TrueTrac, PowerTrax LockRight and No Slip, EZ Locker and AUssie. They are all in a somewhat similar price range, but some are more involved in stalling then others. Also some are probably noiser then others... so I'm looking for people's experiences: good/bad/neutral. Btw, did I miss anything that' available? (I'm not looking at selecatble as they are a bit more then I can spend :()

Btw, this would go into the D30 with 4.11 r&p and it will be driven about 60 miles each day on a nice empty road, and 60 miles in the afternoon in a stop and go traffic on the freeway....

THanks guys.

First thing to note is that the TrueTrac is not a locker, it's a gear driven limited slip. It will not be as aggressive as a full locker. I've got one in the front, and I'm happy with it as a daily driver. Non-disco front axle, btw, like you.

I've always liked the No Slip, no particular reason. Recently there has been alot of good luck for those using the Aussie locker and I would be willing to try one out, if I was going with LSD's.

i have a lockright and it works good. didn;t really notice it on the street.
and helps alot offroad being a positive traction locker.

I can really only comment on the No-Slip and Lockright. I've been completely happy with my No-Slip. It's smooth, quiet under 99% of the conditions it endures, and has performed flawlessly. A buddy's Lockright has been just as flawless, and only slightly noiser and less smooth. Whether the small difference warrants the difference in price is a personal issue IMHO. I'm happy.
As far as the TrueTrac, that will require reseting the gears whereas the lunchbox lockers won't. If you were going that route, you're probably close enough in overall cost to consider the selectables. Although living in southern (I can't bring myself to say it - you know - out there), you don't have the snow and ice to concern yourself with, making the price of the selectables a little harder to justify.

I have a front lockrite and well...its a cheap auto locker. Loud, noisy, harder to steer, BUT it provides positive traction at both front tires no matter what.

It works very well so I live with the pops and bangs. I really want a selectable locker for all around usability but it costs more. I have no problems driving it daily in 2wd.

AARON

What Rd (f.k.a. ArmStrong) said:
Although living in southern (I can't bring myself to say it - you know - out there),
:laugh2: :laugh: :rof: :yelclap: :laugh2: :laugh: Ouch!

What Rd (f.k.a. ArmStrong) said:
I can really only comment on the No-Slip and Lockright. I've been completely happy with my No-Slip. It's smooth, quiet under 99% of the conditions it endures, and has performed flawlessly. A buddy's Lockright has been just as flawless, and only slightly noiser and less smooth. Whether the small difference warrants the difference in price is a personal issue IMHO. I'm happy.
As far as the TrueTrac, that will require reseting the gears whereas the lunchbox lockers won't. If you were going that route, you're probably close enough in overall cost to consider the selectables. Although living in southern (I can't bring myself to say it - you know - out there), you don't have the snow and ice to concern yourself with, making the price of the selectables a little harder to justify.

I am leaning towards the noslip as I really have no complaints about my rear noslip and I have couple more questions for you: how do you feel your turning has been affected on the trail by noslip? Also how bad is it in snow/wet conditions? I go skiing every so often I encounter that white stuff on the ground :) and also I drive a lot in rain (no matter what everyone says... it RAINS in Cali). Since I drive a lot will I have to change my driving pattern significantly for the NoSlip? Or does it show itself more while in 4wd and in 2wd it's more invisible?

I run no-slips front and rear... love em'. if you have a no-slip in the rear then you shouldn't even need 4wd. you should be practicing your drifting... in all seriousness, I have tried driving around in 4wd on wet roads... not much different than dry. but again, with the traction of the rear locker you shouldn't ever need 4wd in the rain, unless you need to pull away from a stop quickly...
as far as turning on the trail... well I haven't done any slickrock, just some granite and lots of sandy silty soft stuff. If you have ever heard of truckhaven its in the badlands of the anza boreggo desert. its all ravines that are so tight and twisty that even open diff guys in 2wd have to make 4 point turns. when in 2wd it is virtually invisible...

Just put a lockright in my 99. This is my first locker so I don't have anything to compare it to, but it is awesome! Only time I ever notice it is when making very sharp turns, and even then it's not bad.

I have a Detroit EZlocker that I picked up for $250 new. I havn't used it yet because I still have to regear my rear but the front is done.

I feel I want the full locking ability of a locker if I was gonna spend that much money I mean heck my rear costed like $2.00 to lock (including a $1.00 pop). I welded her. So I am just really rambling but hey oh well DIG IT!

Somebody has got ask a stupid question in every thread, so now it's my turn. From time to time I hear people refer to disco or non-disco front axles; what is that?

XJWheelie said:
Somebody has got ask a stupid question in every thread, so now it's my turn. From time to time I hear people refer to disco or non-disco front axles; what is that?
What that is, is when you go to 2wd, it unhooks one axle from the front diff so that it won't spool up the driveshaft. You can weld the front diff in a disco axle and not even notice other then the driveshaft will now spin like a non disco with a open diff.

XJWheelie said:

You guys correct me if I am wrong, but the rigs with the 231 T-case (without the full time 4WD option) have a disco at the front axle. If you have the 242 case with the full time option, it just disconnects at the t-case. Im my rig, I have the 242 so my front drive shaft is always turning, driven by the front axle.
I hope I got that right. :looney:

I just installed a front Lock Right yesterday and I had already put one in the rear. They are noisy, but if I turn the stereo up, I don't notice it. I do get funny looks sometimes, but that may not be due to the ratcheting. I don't notice it driving much different. I can control the rear with the throttle and the only indication that the front is there is the noise. Honestly, I wouldn't have put any other locker in for a couple of reasons. I don't know if I am going to keep these axles or not, so I wanted to keep my cost to a minimum (I got the pair of lockers, brand new, for $250). They are extremely easy to install, and they are a proven product. I haven't had it off road yet, but I can't wait.

Motornoggin said:
You guys correct me if I am wrong, but the rigs with the 231 T-case (without the full time 4WD option) have a disco at the front axle. If you have the 242 case with the full time option, it just disconnects at the t-case. Im my rig, I have the 242 so my front drive shaft is always turning, driven by the front axle.
I hope I got that right. :looney:
Only older XJ's have the disco axles. The newer ones have one piece units.
Ok, it keeps looking more and more like a no slip for the front then :D

I have a 94 with the NV231 case, does that mean that I do or that I do not have a disco axle? How can I tell?

XJWheelie said:
I have a 94 with the NV231 case, does that mean that I do or that I do not have a disco axle? How can I tell?

Well as Remi said, according to your rear and also look at you passenger side upper control arm mount on the axle. If it looks like a bracket, you have a non-disco, if it looks like a piece that is cast and has a vacuum motor on the back of it. It will be a disco.

Kejtar said:
Ok, it keeps looking more and more like a no slip for the front then :D
But this time, don't install the last c-clip until you put those last springs in. :nono: That'll knock about 2 hours off your install time. :roll:

Back