• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft covering

slujeeper5

NAXJA Forum User
I recently had a new stock driveshaft put on my 98 xj,the old one was completely rusted, but thats not why they replaced it, and now about two weeks later, the new one already starting to rust. Would there be any problem with sanding the rust off and putting some sort of coating on it? If there is no problem with that what type of rust preventing stuff would i coat it with? I was worried that doing so might unbalance it, causing more vibration than i already had. Thanks.

I used Rustolium flat black spray paint all over the underside of my Jeeps. Keeps things coated and looking pretty. Should be harmless on your drive shaft. I've never had any problems.

slujeeper5 said:
I recently had a new stock driveshaft put on my 98 xj,the old one was completely rusted, but thats not why they replaced it, and now about two weeks later, the new one already starting to rust. Would there be any problem with sanding the rust off and putting some sort of coating on it? If there is no problem with that what type of rust preventing stuff would i coat it with? I was worried that doing so might unbalance it, causing more vibration than i already had. Thanks.

No problem. Mosts driveline shops don't spend a lot of time on prepping and painting their driveshafts - they're just going to get chipped up and have surface rust, so why bother? I wouldn't worry about unbalancing the shaft

Back