• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

got the "new" motor in...couple of questions

trouble1

NAXJA Forum User
I just spent two hours using the search feature...but still have a couple of stupid questions....
replaced a 4.0 in my 88 xj with a 4.0 from a 88 mj
replaced all seals, bearings, gaskets and anything else i could.
Used all the senders from my old motor to save some cash as all of mine worked fine
1.My temp gauge is all funky now...When you start it up it automatically goes to about 190 degrees....even after sitting outside for hours in 40 degree weather, and after it runs for about 2 min. it spikes, although it is not overheating.
2. I now have a SLIGHT hesitation when I hit the gas pedal...maybee half a second to a second (I'm anal, I know)
3. Oil Pressure runs lower than I'm used to seeing...20# at idle, little less than 40# cruising when warm

Other than this, and the fact that i busted the nock sensor, so its currently not hooked up, the swap was not that bad....thanks for all of everyones advice....even if ya didn't know you gave it to me (got to love the search thing)

the temp gauge usually works on a ground. Make sure it is not pinched anywhere or grounding out anywhere. also make sure there is no air in the system. AN air pocket could cause a false reading.

Your other questions I am not sure on.

pyagid2 said:
the temp gauge usually works on a ground. Make sure it is not pinched anywhere or grounding out anywhere. also make sure there is no air in the system. AN air pocket could cause a false reading.

Your other questions I am not sure on.

thanks for the quick reply...I'll start following the ground wire in the morning

dave

Back