• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear oil or ATF in 231 trans case?

I would stick with what its designed to use. Just my opinion though.

Handlebars said:
I ran gear oil in my 231 for about a year without noticing any difference in shifting. :anon:
I wonder how the little plastic pump felt about that? Use the ATF it was designed to use.
Wayne

Mobil-1 ATF for over 180,000 mi, run what they recommend...

Your transfer case calls for fluid labled Mercon or Dexron II or any equivilant Mopar ATF+ ATF2, ATF3,ATF4,ATF5. The higher the number the better quality addatives you get. Oh and the larger the price also. Synthetic Mobil or Amsoil is good also. No matter what you use I would still change the transfer case fluid every 30,000 miles and if you run it under severe conditions and lots of off roading every 15,000 miles. The 231 and 242 transfer cases are very forgiving when it comes to approved fluid just keep it fresh. I currently use Chrysler ATF3 with no problems. capacity is 2.2 pints in the 231 ( command trac ) and 3 pints in the 242 ( select trac ).

Joe

SOOLONG said:
Your transfer case calls for fluid labled Mercon or Dexron II or any equivilant Mopar ATF+ ATF2, ATF3,ATF4,ATF5.

Can't say I ever heard of ATF+5. The latest offereing from DC is the ATF+4, which is 75% synthetic. He is correct about the required fluid type though. The only problem I have with the synthetic type ATF is its tendency to leak past older or slightly worn seals. I would suggest using Dexron III as opposed to the ATF+4 fluid if you have a higher mileage transfer case. I run the ATF+4 in my low mileage Mopar remanufactured 231 T-case and I have problems with small leaks. I changed out the seals and had the same problem. Not a problem for me if it just seeps a little, but I do keep a close eye on the fluid level. This is just my $.02 on the synthetic vs. standard fluids.

Bryan

ATF5 is Chryslers newest fluid used in 04 model Jeep Grand Cherokee Dodge Dakotas trucks and everything else. Just what we needed since Havoline is the producer of Mopar ATF fluid. The kicker is that even though Havoline makes the fluid they are contracted through Mopar so they do no have the right to sell the fluid untill rights are relinquished. To make it even worse Mopar has not even released the rights for ATF4 yet. That of course ensures that the Chrysler can charge the big bucks for it. Oh and buy the way Havoline is just a name now. They were bought out by Shell oil last year so Shell and Havoline oil are basicly one in the same now.

I don't want to start any sort of flame war, but I work as a tech at a Jeep dealer. I have not heard of or seen any TSBs regarding any new fluid types. No mention of it on the DC techconnect website either. :dunno:

Bryan

EDIT: cut and paste of the fill procedure for the 04 WJ with the 545RFE trans from the Chrysler Techconnect website....

STANDARD PROCEDURE - TRANSMISSION FILL
To avoid overfilling transmission after a fluid change or overhaul, perform the following procedure:

Remove dipstick and insert clean funnel in transmission fill tube.
Add following initial quantity of Mopar® ATF +4 to transmission:
If only fluid and filter were changed, add 10 pints (5 quarts) of ATF +4 to transmission.
If transmission was completely overhauled and the torque converter was replaced or drained, add 24 pints (12 quarts) of ATF +4 to transmission.
Check the transmission fluid (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/AUTOMATIC - RFE/FLUID - STANDARD PROCEDURE) and adjust as required.

Last edited:
I may have been a little misguided. I got my information from a havoline distributor who is a very goo source of information. If I remember the conversation it was probably that this is the new fluid that is being developed for 2005 model vehicles. Now as I sit here and recall The manager of the parts department at the Jeep Chrysler dealer mentioned it also. I probably just had the year mixed up. Sorry if I mislead anyone.

Joe

I am probably boring you to death but I did some calling. Found out that my mind got ahead of me and you all are correct. ATF5 does not exist yet. I would swear I was told it was being used already. Oh well I guess I am only human. I found that it is being developed but still a year or two out. Wow I need to get more sleep or something. I pride myself in relaying only correct information so maybe my mind took a vacation. I stand corrected.
Thanx,

Joe

Back