• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shims

meathead40

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to know a fast easy way to measure my pinion angle. I just ordered an re 5.5" lift, AA hd sye, and a Tom Woods cv drive shaft. After the lift and sye install I need to call em back with the pinion angle (for shims) and shaft length.

I understand that the pinion needs to be parallel with the output shaft of the transfercase. I can think of several ways to measure the pinion angle but am looking for feedback from someone who has done this. 90 lerado, 4.0, aw4, np231

By the way, since my engine, trans, and transfercase rebuild last year I have been researching this forum for several months while I save some more $$$ for the rest of the build. This is a great forum. I have saved a bunch of money and learned lot here. I am pretty confident I can install this myself from the info I have found here. Of course the wife aint none to happy with me right now. This "free" jeep I inherited has over 5k in it right now. She told me NO MORE!! I havn't told her that I need a stronger rear axle, rims & tires, ring & pinions, armor, hooks, etc. JEEEEZ!! Its time for a part time job I suppose. :dunno:

meathead40 said:
I understand that the pinion needs to be parallel with the output shaft of the transfercase. I can think of several ways to measure the pinion angle but am looking for feedback from someone who has done this. 90 lerado, 4.0, aw4, np231
I believe this is incorrect for a CV shaft and SYE. A CV-style driveshaft coming from an SYE should be about the same angle as the pinion. You would want the pinion parrallel with the t-case output shaft IF you didn't have a CV driveshaft. In your case, the rear pinion needs to be pointed almost directly at the t-case.
I have the same lift, and I use a 6* shim for my rear axle.
HTH

thanks,
harbor freight rules. i love that place. thanks BILLR after your post i went and looked at tom woods geometry 101 for a cv shaft.

I second the 6* shim. I have the same lift with the 8.25 axle. To find the angle I used an angle finder like Lunatic728 showed. Worked great.

Back