• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Split Font Window -> One Piece Glass

sjbrownie4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I am attempting to remove the front vent / wing window in favor of a one piece window out of a 97+ XJ.

I have the new window in and it fits perfect! The only problem I have now is the old (92) has a single regulator. The new window, has 2 regulator mounts, and only using the single track at the back of the window, it has a tendnecy to pivot the window thus not rolling up correctly.

So.......... I am now looking into putting a 97+ regulator which has 2 tracks to lift the window.

I am hoping that I am not the first to do this and someone can chime in on what they did.

Also does anyone have any Pics of the door pannel from a 97 and up. I dont have the new regulator yet. A 2000 FSM shows what it looks like, I just wanted to see if the door pannels were stamped the same way, or if custom spacers would be required.......

BTW, the window looks sweet, is quiet, and does not leak! YEAH! I will post how / what I did when I am finished.

Thanks
Scott Brown

It does look really good.

So far, I have removed the wing window / vertical track bar, and cut out a support piece between the two shells of the door.

The 97 window drops right in, but I cannot get the thing to roll up properly.

The 92 only has one track for the regulator, and it is towards the rear of the new window. With no front track, and only one regulator the window wants to pivot forward instead of roll up.

If U help it stay straight, it comes up just fine.

I am going to see if I can put a 97 regulator (which has 2 support tracks) into the 92 door. From the looks of it one location is identical. the other will need special holes drilled and may need custom spacers...... The motor will have to be relocated near the bottom of the door like they do in the 97+

The only place I have found one is at the dealer for $100.

Scott Brown

i also havea 92 and i cant stand the bar for the fly window blocking the mirror anymore and the d side is broken. i havent been inside the doors yet so i cant be much help

Well, if you can get it this will be great! All I can say now is PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES! Say so much more than you can explain....

theres a guy on ausjeep (australia) who is doing this, i think from memory he used the whole new glass actuators, and had to fabricate new mounting points within the old style door frame, go to ausjeep and search th guy is "JJ"

Most people just put the late model doors onto their earlier jeep..

Why do you want to? I love my wings.

And I guess now you know what it feels like to be wrong. :)

My roommates 92 MJ with 97 doors, fenders and front clip on it.

Like I said, people do this all the freaking time.

IMG_9281.jpg

There is an article in JP magazine that lays it all out, down to the electric door wiring IIRC.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/body-chassis/154-0901-jeep-cherokee-xj-door-upgade/

huh well thank you for your polite response

EDIT: checked out the article, very interesting, however hardly a bolt in job, poetic license on your part hmmmmm

Last edited:
I have two sets of new doors. One is electric and the other is manual cranks. My though process is to not have to repaint my doors. My jeep is a 96 so the wings do not move.

Damn, that's an old pic of my truck. That's when it was fifty shades of gray.

you have it a lot easier in your country, in Australia its illegal to relocate door strikers or anything structural without engineers approval , so for us its actually easier to gut the original door and fit the mechanism than do what you do.

me personally i couldnt be bothered, as my '94 has a fixed quarter its not easy to break into.

however i do like the one piece style.

Back