• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speaking of Sunroofs

coach9119

NAXJA Forum User
90 XJ with the power sunroof. Mine just stopped working, and started leaking, which I'm assuming is a burnt/wet motor. I'm not sure if the leak is because the thing stopped working slightly open or if it's just not sealing anymore. I lean toward the seal, but I have to check it.

Couple of questions, and not much information from a search.
Anyone worked on a power sunroof and have any suggestions on how to get at the parts? The FSM I have doesn't really cover the sunroof system, so I'm not sure how to get at the motor. Do I have to drop the headliner or can I get to it from the top? How much would a replacement motor be, and is this a dealer only part? I assume it is ($$$$).

- Andy

This probably doesn't help but over the summer I broke the glass in my 1992 with a manual sunroof. I could only find new glass at the dealer and it was $720! I'd expect to pay a lot for sunroof parts if you go to the dealer.

I have an 89 with a power sunroof that I just recently did some work on. My first advice would be to sit inside and have some one dump some water over the sunroof, SLOWLY, to try and figure out exactly where it is leaking. Mine was at the seal right around the edge of the glass. I'm still waiting for some rain to see if the silicon I put on works.

As for getting at the motor (as long as it hasn't been moved in the 90) it is right in front of the sunroof under the bulge that you see between the visors. you should be able to access it by just dropping the front of the headliner and reaching through the hole for the sunroof. I'd also recommend checking the switch before you start ripping the headliner out.

i have a 90 with a power sunroof. 2 summers ago it quit working all together. turned out to be a bad ground wire. cost me like $3 to fix. so check that first

Back