• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re-wiring an MJ...help

MJ_Chubs

NAXJA Forum User
I've got some major electrical problems with my '87 MJ and I'm looking to replace the chassis wiring. Has anyone done this? What are my options as far as harnesses? I was thinking either pulling one from the boneyard or adapting one from Painless or Centech. Is there any other place that might make the better kit?

Brent

I had a "Cristine" setting up camp in my MJ - thought about replacing the entire harness myself, then looked into what a PITA it would be. Started to look for the problem, turned out it was NOT the common corrosion in the bulkhead connector, but corrosion on the back of the fuse block.

HTH, Cheropair

BTW, I had headlights that would stay on, various access. that would or would not work, lights that would or would not work, sometimes started, or not. A lot of cleaning (Radio Shack has a decent terminal cleaning solution in a spray can) and some silicone and epoxy fixed my problems... Good Luck!

I'm not sure about the MJ but I replaced the entire wiring in my 84 XJ when I went to the 94 2.5L drivetrain. I pulled the entire dash for simplicity. Not that hard but easyer with another set of hands since it is so long. I would look around for some donor MJ's first. To my knowledge no makes a harness for the XJ like Painless does for rodders and CJ's.

I'm thinking that I might also have some corrosion problems with the back of the fuse block. Right now, the MJ doesn't even power up when I turn the key to ACC. Before, I would have some problems with brake lights and tail lights not working. Should I just plan on tearing the dash out and going through the wiring and cleaning everything off really well? That may not be a bad idea. I'd like to clean out the rat's nest under my dash from the previous owner half-assing some wiring for things.

Back