• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Deep Cycle VS Non Deep Cycle

Moto

NAXJA Member #576
Ok I thik this post might belong here?, but anyways I know that there has been much debate over if a deep cycle battery is good for an application such as in a Jeep. I have just come back from a whole seminar thing, with people that work with delphi and design and know just about all that there is to know about batterys and this is what I was told. Deep Cycles are fine for everyday starting use. In a typical lead acid battery the only thing that makes a deep cycle a deep cycle is that there are fewer numbers of grids and that they contain a thicker coating of "paste". The fewer numbers of grids and the thicker paste allows the batterys to be run down and charged rapidy on a regular basis. When a battery is discharged and charged there is a significant amount of flex within the grids and this usually begins to crack off the paste and can crack the metal grids, but in a deep cycle battery the thicker paste and fewer grids allow for much more flex without damage to the battery. Deep cycles also begin to deteriorate just as fast as a regular battery if they are not constantly kept at a full charge as they would be in an alternator type charging system. Deep cycle batterys usually last much longer due to the fewer numbers of grids and thier flexibily, but that can often mean a lower CCA rating. Deep cycle batterys are also generally less effected by vibration, and that it is heat and vibration that is the biggest destroyer of all batterys. This pretty much goes for the same with Gel Cells such as Optima, the deep cycle gell cells or dry cells, are deep cycle only because they can tolerate more drains and charges, making them a more durable battery because they are resistant to the damage that is caused from the internal build up of heat from charging and are not negatively effected by being charged by an alternator all the time. So anyways thats what I found out, hope it can be of some use to someone.

Interesting info thx.

BTW - Optimas are not Gel Cell.

Back