• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

depressing clutch not needed for start

Dano

NAXJA Member #1269
I bought a 93 XJ and they guy said they sensor was yanked before they got it to start with the clutch in. I have started it about 5 times within in a month with it in gear and I don;t want to any more...

What kinda damage would it cause to accidently start it in gear
and
Can I reattach a sensor or somthing to demand that I start it with the clutch depressed?
:variety:

Well, most people who off road disable the clutch interlock, in fact the TJ owners manual shows you how, there is a small switch, or should be one, around the clutch pedal somewhere so that when you depress the clutch pedal it closes. My 98FSM is still in the XJ and the wife has it so I can't go grab it. I would look for the switch first, they might have just taped it or something, if it's not there I would look for any loose wires that are just hanging around not doing anything or two wires taped together, that kind of thing. If they took the switch out you will have to buy another one and install it.
The reason is that sometimes when your engine dies either on the trail or on the road it's nice to be able to use the starter to get your ass etts out of harms way like that 20ton dumptruck thats coming thru the intersection your engine just died in :D

If you try to start it in gear with your foot on the brake, or the parking brake set, you put a lot of strain on the starter and the battery, but you're not likely to break anything. The real danger in that is if the vehicle lurches forward (or back) and hits something ... or some one.

If you have access to a wiring diagram, it should show you where the safety interlock is. Most likely it's a simple switch mounted to the clutch peddle support bracket, and you should be able to see if a connector has been pulled off.

That having been said, I'll depart from my usual rule of thumb and give you advice not aimed at answering your question: I think you should leave it alone, and train yourself to always check that the shifter is in neutral and the clutch depressed before turning the key.

Why?

For the simple reason that doing so is the correct, safe way to start a vehicle with manual transmission. Not all vehicles have the safety interlock. It didn't become standard on Jeeps until sometime after Chrysler took over, and larger trucks don't have it. Therefore, if you re-activate it on your XJ and get in the habit of starting the engine without disengaging the clutch, there's a very real possibility you could cause an accident if you get into a vehicle that doesn't have the interlock, but you expect it to be there.

JMHO

clutch sensor? Interlock? Never noticed one on my 95. I guess maybe it was taken out, or did they drop it by 95? I misplaced my owner's manual. I'm with Hawaiian Style on this. I don't like interlocks, and would really dislike a clutch interlock, because on cold mornings I often don't even get in to start it. Just turn the key and go get the mail before leaving.

All I know is the '88 does not have it, the 2000 does have it. When it was introduced I have no idea.

I had a '93 4.0L 5-speed. It did not have the interlock.
I now have a '99 2.5L 5-speed, it does have the interlock.

I liked not having one in the '93 until one day I watched a mechanic at Sears get in my XJ start it up and flew right out of the bay (another tech left it gear). Luckily the service door was up. This guy's eyes were as wide as suacers and out of breath by the time he circled around the garage.

piperRonnie said:
I had a '93 4.0L 5-speed. It did not have the interlock.
I now have a '99 2.5L 5-speed, it does have the interlock.

I liked not having one in the '93 until one day I watched a mechanic at Sears get in my XJ start it up and flew right out of the bay (another tech left it gear). Luckily the service door was up. This guy's eyes were as wide as suacers and out of breath by the time he circled around the garage.

I can see that it would be convenient if others drive your vehicle. I'm the only one who uses mine, and I habitually take it out of gear when I park, and check the stick when I start, but many others don't. That's one of those things they probably don't teach you any more, but when my old man taught me, that was part of lesson one. Don't start it until you've checked the gearshift. It's funny, because when I have taken it to be inspected (test drive mandatory in VT), I always park it in neutral with brake on, and always get it back in gear with brake off, even though it's on level ground and (duh?) it was just certified to have an effective handbrake.

My 1994 does not have this as well.

The best reason for it would be when borrowing it out. It's nice to have things "idiot proof".

Hawaiian Style said:
You let other people drive your XJ? :shocked:

BTW Your MN accent is showing! "borrow it out" ;)

I do have friends, "dont ya know".

Yah the accent thing is there, close to Fargo yah. Up in the "you betchyas".

:wave1:

I went to school at the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks and my wife is from a tiny litlle ND farm town so I can spot a nodak or rabbit-choker a mile away! Damn it's cold up there!

ya im having this exact same problem, ive never had to press it in to start it, but then out of nowhere, i had to have to hold the clutch i n at a certain spot, now it doesnt start at all no matter where the clutch is and its getting pretty annying parking on hills and pushing it on trails.

does anyone have a picture of where that sensor is? i need to knoow!

On my '99 the interlock is on the shaft of the clutch pedal itself.
Open the drivers door, get on your knees outside the vehicle, reach up with your hand on the clutch pedal, there is a 'collar' around the pedal's shaft.
This collar has two wires from it. Pull the collar downwards along the shaft until stop, the switch is now closed=engine can start w/o puching clutch in.
(Make sure she's not in gear.)
This is also a great place to splice in a hidden switch to immobilize the truck.

It will not hurt anything to start your truck in gear. My clutch went out in November and I have been driving with no clutch since then trying to get a tranny swap together. I just put it in gear and start the thing then slide the gears big truck style. I don’t really recommend it, but it wont hurt a thing.

When my slave cylinder blew, I use the no clutch-starter method to walk the MJ into the garage, back it back out and drive it into the side yard until I fix it.

When it comes to that, I've moved many a vehicle out of harm's way (or into the shop, or onto the trailer, or out to the "roll-starting hill") on the starter alone, when the engine died. It's one of the great things about a stick shift that you can't do with an automatic.

Turtle said:
I do have friends, "dont ya know".

I have friends, too. They drive their own cars, or ride with me in the
Jeep! :cool:

I just wish my 2k Sport *HAD* a clutch-interlock. And a clutch. And a
gearshift and such. 5-speeds were on "indefinite hold" when I bought it
(new), and I couldn't wait no longer...

At least the AW4 is among the most-reliable autoboxes known to man!!

Den

Back