• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition Upgrade

AndyS

NAXJA Forum User
This might be a double post, since this is the first time I've posted with the new format....sorry in advance...

I just received my Quadratec catalogue, and there is a "Firepower Ignition" kit listed for Jeep 4.0's. The kit consists of a set of "Live Wire" plug wires, a "Screamin' Demon" ignition coil, and a "Firepower" cap and rotor. The ad doesn't list any specs, other than stating that the kit allows you to run a .065" plug gap, which if my memory serves me correctly, is about double what the stock gap is. They are listing this kit for $169.95. Has anyone heard of these brands, or used this kit on their own Jeep? I'd like to get a little feedback, since I'm always skeptical about stuff I haven't heard of before, plus I've heard that the 4.0 doesn't really benefit from attempts to upgrade the ignition the way some other motors do.... Thanks for your comments...

Andy

Test reply

I have the Screamin' Deamon coil and their cap and rotor with MSD 8.5mm wires on my 1996XJ. The company that makes te coil and the is performance distributors(www.performancedistributors.com). They make a lot of gear for older style ignitions that seem to work very well. I don't know who they buy the cap and rotor from, but its a good high quality cap with brass terminals. I've read about the whole live wires thing, but am rather sceptical. If I had to do it all over again I would keep my stock coil, get the upgraded cap and rotors and have magnecor(magnecore.com) make me some 10.0 mm race wires. See how that works for you and then get yourself the coil. I use Champion Truck Plugs at .060 gap and don't have a problem with the upgraded coil. I believe that accell and MSD both make similar coils to the screamin' deamon so check them out too. Also, read the thread titled" Sparkplug Gapping & which One's) posted by FJH97XJ. I personally think that the coil is the last thing you upgrade. What other engine mods do you have?

I read that post last night; they were partially correct in that running a large plug gap when still running the stock level of ignition energy WILL result in a much shorter duration, but hotter spark. However, the whole idea behind going to an upgraded coil is that the higher energy will allow you to run a large gap (giving you a nice large flame kernel), without losing any spark duration.

Right now, I have a K&N drop in filter (which I have mixed feelings about....) and a 2.5 inch pipe from the manifold all the way back with a 40 series Flowmaster and a 3" cat. Soon to come will be a bored TB (I have a '94 HO motor), a TB spacer, and possibly a Jet stage I chip. I've been holding off on a header (mine is cracked, too...) only because I've been planning a stroker motor, and would replace the header then, just to save a little work. Hopefully, I'll get to that this summer.

Andy

Andy

again I would say to save your $$$ and put in an open air filter. I have had both the turbocity and K&N FIPK as well as a direct mount filter to the TB. The K&N seems to make the most sense if you do not do deep water crossings as the other two sit directly above the engine and suck hot air(no pun intended). So perhaps try that and then get the ignition upgrade? I felt the difference with my filter kit, but could not tell much of a difference with the coil.

Actually, I was also considering a Safari Snorkel (more for "coolness" than anything).... :) This is another reason why I'd like to get away from the K&N filter and either go back to paper (yuck), or an oiled foam filter, like a Uni or something like that. The K&N breathes well (I did notice a slight increase by the seat of my pants), but it really doesn't do that good a job at filtering the small stuff. I've switched from K&N to Uni's on my motorcycle, and there is no difference in power, even on a dyno, but my intake runners are cleaner with the Uni's (that "film" of grit is no longer there, like it was with the K&N...)......

Yeah, but it ain't for free.....there's a chassis dyno at the local Hardly Ableson shop. Funny how they talk trash about Jap bikes, but when they hear 1250 cc's at 11,000 rpm cranking out 152 horses at the wheel, they all come over and are grinning ear to ear.....hypocrites....

Back