• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this a dealership part purchase?

bigglew

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 89 with the 4.2L in it. When you look at the valve cover you see a hose running into the front then the oil cap then another hose running into the back of the valve cover. The hose that runs into the front has a rubber grommet that holds into the valve cover. Well the grommet has pretty much worn/rotted away and will no longer stay in the valve cover meaning oil is spraying everyware. I went to Autozone and Napa neither one of them carried it. So I am assuming it is a dealership part. Has anyone else had to replace this?

Thanx

Yes, it does deteriorate, and as far as I know it is dealer only.

What type of Jeep do you have? The XJ (Cherokee) was never sold with a 4.2L engine, so I sort of assume you have a Cherokee and intended to write 4.0L. If that's not correct, ignore my response.

Are you asking about a Cherokee or a Wranger? The Cherokee came with the 4.0 while the Wranger came with the 4.2 in 1989.

Here is a article which talks about the oil in the air fitler problem, you are needing to replace the same componets so this should give you some insight into what you need to buy. http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/xjtech/engine/40ltr/blowby.htm

My 88 XJ owner's manual say to replace the CCV components every 50,000 miles. Like most XJs yours may be 15 years old so replacement is long overdue.

Yes, go buy them at the dealer they are "emissions" parts and better off with the right stuff. They will run $70 to $100 for all 3 pieces called out in the article. Replace all 3 do not go cheap.

I found when I removed the factory peices at 102,000 miles my engine ran better. It solved a lot of my vacuum leaks. In addition to the two halves of the front harness you get all these little vacuum lines. With all the new lines in place it had a much better idle, not that it was bad before but a noticable improvement.

Yes, time to visit your local dealer.

Thanx for the help.This was exactly what I was looking for. Your right I meant to say 4.0L. My CJ is the one that has the 4.2L in it.

bigglew said:
I have a 89 with the 4.2L in it. When you look at the valve cover you see a hose running into the front then the oil cap then another hose running into the back of the valve cover. The hose that runs into the front has a rubber grommet that holds into the valve cover. Well the grommet has pretty much worn/rotted away and will no longer stay in the valve cover meaning oil is spraying everyware. I went to Autozone and Napa neither one of them carried it. So I am assuming it is a dealership part. Has anyone else had to replace this?

Thanx

I did not know about the valve cover grommet at NAPA for the little hose, thanks for the info. I still would buy all 3 pieces at the dealer. You get the grommet along with the little tube that connect the valve cover to the intake manifold. If this tube stops up then you will have the oil on the air filter problem. They make a big point in the link about the improved grommet.

I have personally adopted a 30,000 mile change interval for these components. I have 28,000 on mine right now and noticing I am starting to get some oil film on top of my clean valve cover.

I forgot to mention but also replace the oil filler cap. They run about $3 at the dealer or from the parts store. It is a Stant cap either place you purchase. I removed and cleaned my valve cover at 115,000 and got it all back together and had oil on the clean valve cover. I found it was coming from the 12 year old oil filler cap. I installed the new cap and the problem went away.

Sorry I should of mentioned the oil filler cap before.

Back