• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Reving

JoeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well this has been a problem for as long as I’ve owned the jeep. When I’m in Neutral or have the clutch in it idles at 1500-2000 RPMS! It’s just starting to get really annoying. I think a year ago I replaced the TPS thinking that would solve the problem but it was more like a band aid. It’s an 88’ 4.0 Manual, oh yeah it seems to do it more when it’s cold out. Any suggestions?

Joe S.

Your IAC motor is probably caked in gunk and sticking. Just remove the TB, then remove the IAC motor from it, and give both a thorough cleaning. Once done, put everything back, disconnect the negative battery terminal for ten seconds to reset the PCM, and drive.

JoeXJ said:
Well this has been a problem for as long as I’ve owned the jeep. When I’m in Neutral or have the clutch in it idles at 1500-2000 RPMS! It’s just starting to get really annoying. I think a year ago I replaced the TPS thinking that would solve the problem but it was more like a band aid. It’s an 88’ 4.0 Manual, oh yeah it seems to do it more when it’s cold out. Any suggestions?

Joe S.

Don't forget, you can also try making sure the TPS is adjusted right. If you replaced it, you could've changed the adjustment.

Back