• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing dashboard switch bulbs

Headache

NAXJA Forum User
Om my 91 XJ, I have several dashboards switches (eg back window wiper, fog light) that are not lit anymore; probably the bulbs are broken. Does anybody know how I can replace them? Is it done by removing the front of the switch? If so, how?

Thanks in advance,
Headache

Last edited:
Here's how you do it:

1. remove the fasteners on the escutcheon around instrument cluster. This consists of 2 or three screws above the speedo, plus one above the light switch, and one above the cigarette lighter.
2. the area around the radio is snap fit. Carefully pull the escutcheon away from this area, and remove entire escutcheon.
3. wiper switch is attached to a white plastic bracket. Plastic bracket is attached to rest of instrument panel with 2 screws. Remove the two screws, and lift bracket away from instrument panel.
4. illumination bulb is inside a twist lock socket on the back of the white bracket holding the switch. Remove socket, and pull out bulb
5. assembly is reverse of installation.

CAUTION--illumination bulb sockets are somewhat fragile, and can be broken if you are rough on the twist lock feature. BE GENTLE.

AZ Jeff said:
CAUTION--illumination bulb sockets are somewhat fragile, and can be broken if you are rough on the twist lock feature. BE GENTLE.

Yup. I just broke mounting flange on both the fog and defroster switch bulb sockets. Can you get replacement sockets from the dealer, or is your best bet a salvage yard?

Yup. I just broke mounting flange on both the fog and defroster switch bulb sockets. Can you get replacement sockets from the dealer, or is your best bet a salvage yard?

I just went through this ordeal ... unfortunately the sockets are part of the wiring harness. I searched the planet for those sockets ... gave up and decided to weld them in with Super Glue ... Permatex ... Locktite ... or something on that order.

I can't remember if I tried RTV ... that may work if you can get them to stay put while you fasten it back down ... it's a challenge even when using glue---I allowed 24 hrs. drying time before screwing them back in.

Good luck

bchulett said:
I just went through this ordeal ... unfortunately the sockets are part of the wiring harness. I searched the planet for those sockets ... gave up and decided to weld them in with Super Glue ... Permatex ... Locktite ... or something on that order.

I can't remember if I tried RTV ... that may work if you can get them to stay put while you fasten it back down ... it's a challenge even when using glue---I allowed 24 hrs. drying time before screwing them back in.

Good luck
When I broke one of mine, I fabricated a bracket that holds the socket in place in it's hole in the white plastic bracket. I used a piece of coat hanger wire to form a loop type shape that pressed against the back of the light socket, and then attached the other end of the wire to the white plastic bracket with a screw. It worked quite well, and it WON"T fall out.

Back