• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to measure rims

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
I just got my new black rockcrawlers in and I just want to know what points to measure from to check everything. They're 16x8's but the outermost edges measure about 17.5" tall by 9" wide. TIA.

Look at the sticker on the box or the stamp on the wheel. That's the easiest way I know. ;)

Ok, ok. You just pretend the outer lip isnt there. Measure the width of the wheel BETWEEN the outer lips. Should be about 8" across the inside of the wheel. This is because that's where the tire sits, not on the outside or on top of the lip. Similarly, diameter is measured by the flat surface just inside the outer lips also.

Backspacing, however is a bit different. Just lay the wheel flat on the ground, outer face down. Get a straight edge and lay it across the wheel so that it is lying on top of the aforementioned outer lip. Measure the distance from the straight egde to the mounting surface of the wheel. This "mounting surface" is the back side of the area that the lug studs go thru. With your wheels, this measurement should be in the 3.75-4.5" ballpark. Stock wheels are usually about 4.5-5" backspacing.

Hope this helps you out.

Jared

Back