• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ Dana 30 & 44 R&P on XJ?

XJ_Matt

NAXJA Forum User
Would Ring and Pinon gears (dana 30 & 44) from a 98 TJ Fit on my 86 XJ's dana 30 and 44 rear??

Your 86 XJ should have a high pinion D30 in front. All TJs have low pinion D30s. I believe gears will fit in the case, but they'll be rotating in the wrong direction. Not wise.

Are you certain you have a Dana 44 rear? I wasn't aware that AMC used the Dana 44 in 1986 -- the optional HD axle that year was supposed to be the AMC Model 20. What shape is the diff housing cover? A Dana 44 has sort of a distorted hexagon shape, with several distinct staright lines along the various sides. The Dana 35 is more oval, and the AMC Model 20 is a perfect circle.

XJ_Matt said:
Would Ring and Pinon gears (dana 30 & 44) from a 98 TJ Fit on my 86 XJ's dana 30 and 44 rear??
RE: the D44---97-02 D44s use the same carrier for 3.07 thru 4.10 (stock gear sets).You must use the stock carrier with these gears.
So you could use these gears in a XJ 44 as long as you used the TJ carrier and gears as a complete set.
The D30 is as Eagle stated.
Wayne

No i do not have a d44 stock in the 86 XJ. I am upgrading from the 35c rear to the d44 i got. We thought it was gonna work and the guy was giving me a pretty good deal on the gear sets. So I guess i will just buy his carrier and gears (trac-loc) for the D44.

Thanks for all the info.

Back