• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trouble getting O2 Sensors out

Nick

NAXJA Member #690
PLEEEASE HELP!!! Trouble getting O2 Sensors out

Can anyone give any advice on getting stubborn O2 sensors out of the down pipe and converter (I have a 1996). Also, Hwen I replace these should I put anything on the threads to seal/prevent seizing? thanx

Last edited:
Heat the flange on the down pipe so it expands some. Use PBlaster after or well before so it doesn't catch fire. Have a fire extinguisher handy, just in case. Try not to heat the O2 sensor .

PBlaster

A while back I had asked if this is "sensor safe" I wrote the company and still havent heard anything. Been 3 months now and the new sensor works great...gas mileage increased to almost 20 mpg. Mine had 154K and i used PBlaster, let it sit for about 20 minutes and the sensor popped right out. Good luck!

just elaborating on XJ_MAC's reply, heat the bung up cherry red and allow it to cool completely and it should come right out.

just a sidebar here... if you run out of penetrant try this.... steal one of the wife's dinner candle sticks. they always seem to have them and never use them.... after you heat the part, touch the tip of the candle to the thread area and let the wax melt into the threads... works great in a pinch, lubes the threads as it comes out, and burns off after a few minutes of running.... just clean off any excess before you start it up.... theres my 0.37 cents

Penetrants can do it and is always the best first try, esp if you do not have a torch. However, sometimes, the torch is the only way esp if you want to save the threads in the bung. Have heard of the candle wax technique but usually is not necessary when using the torch. Of course grease up the threads of the new sensor with antisieze upon replacement. Also, a good thread chase with a sparkplug thread tap is a good idea beforehand.

I'm all on the PB Blaster (spray on a cooling bung - as it cools the penetrant will wick quite well) -- use a good socket (not a cheapo sockethat'll expand some allowing the sensor-body to slip and round-off.)

The new sensors (assuming they're gonna get replaced) will be pre-coated with a sensor-safe antisieze. Application of additional compund is usually not necessary, but if you feel so inclined use your pinky-finger to lightly coat the outside-most threads fo the bung - you won't want that stuff inside the pipe where it could drip/burn off into the nice new sensor(s)...

(the sensor-safe thing relates mostly to silicone content - any is bad, so no lube/penetrants with that in there - the silicone deposits on the sensors)

Back