• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which XJ???

JBFried67

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I currently have a 1993 XJ Sport 2.5L with D30 and Chrys. 8.25 with Powertrax No-Slip. The engine has about 197k and the tranny and t-case have just been swapped for ones with 55k. It is a black 4 door, no a/c, factory rear tire carrier, 3" lift, and that's about it.

I have a chance to pick up a 88 XJ Laredo 4.0L with D30 and D35. The engine and transmission have about 199k and the t-case NP242 needs replaced as well as the engine having a small leak. It is a white, 4 door with a/c, power locks and windows, towing package.

My question to ya'll is should I keep the 93 and build it up some more or should I go with the older 88 with the 4.0L and fix it up? I can't really afford to upgrade/maintain 2 trail rigs. Hmm, decisions, decisions. Any suggestions or insight?

Last edited:
As much as I am tempted to see how much can be done with a 4-cyl, despite the age difference I think you're better off with the 4-0L model.

The mileage on the odometer is virtually the same for both vehicles, but remember that the 4.0L Laredo has 3.55 gears and overdrive, whereas the 2.5L has either 3.73 or 4.10 gears and no overdrive. That means for the same number of road miles, the 2.5L engine has been spinning at much higher RPM and the pistons have traveled probably 25% to 33% farther. The 2.5L is a great engine, but because it spins at higher RPMs you don't regularly hear about 2.5Ls going over 300,00 miles the way you do with the 4.0L.

But if the newer one has lower gearing, be sure to swap the axles now. It will save you trouble when you add bigger tires. (I'am assuming your going to start at 31's)

Not to mention you get the 8.25 and the no-slip.

Everything should almost bolt right in.

Brian

But if the newer one has lower gearing, be sure to swap the axles now. It will save you trouble when you add bigger tires. (I'am assuming your going to start at 31's)

Not to mention you get the 8.25 and the no-slip.

Everything should almost bolt right in.

Brian

How long would a project like this take?

Not very long, maybe a weekend with a few buddies. Everything should be bolt in.

You will need to use the U-bolts from the '93 to fit the 8.25 in the old cherokee.

Then just swap the old cherokees axles back in to the '93 and sell it. It will be gutless, but why do you care?

Also, you could swap the lift to the old cherokee too. It would be best to do that right along with swapping the axles. Unless you want to start with a clean plate.

I like the swap idea too. Free gears and you get the 8.25. 88 was a good year in my very biased opinion. :roflmao:

Good luck.

Do not reuse the Ubolts, they stretch when installed and used ones are just plain not safe. Plus it is way easier to torch off the old ones, any spring shop will be able to fix you up with new ones for a few bucks.
Mike B.

I stand corrected.

I never thought about that. Or that you might need to break them to get them off.

Brian

Back