• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 Trac-lok disassembly?

NN4S

XJ Afficianado #789
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Okay, got the 8.25 apart & pulled the axle bearings out of the housing (destroyed my cheap slide hammer in the process!) and removed the pinion bearing races with a drift. I cut the bearing off of the old pinion since it won't be reused so I could see what shim was behind it. That brings me to the case & it's disassembly.

Since I have to reuse the Trac-lok case, I don't want to do any damage to it when removing the guts or bearings. Anyone have some suggestions as to how I should go about this? Does Auto Zone or one of the others rent out a clamshell puller? The FSM shows a tool for compressing the clutch packs to remove the thrust washers & spider gears. Will I be able to get the same effect by running a bolt with washers through and tightening it until I can remove them? I didn't expect this part of the job to be such a pain... :banghead:

Thanks for the Links, Ivan. There's some really good info there! I've read through everything and plan to try the bolt & washer method on it. It seems like everything you do to a rear end requires a special tool!

Ivan said:
The links below have some instructions on dealing with trac loks, which may be helpful to you...

For Randy's Ring & Pinion, just follow the tech section, over to posi tracs...

http://www.ring-pinion.com

Ivan

I tried the improvised clutch pack compressor last night & was able to get the guts out of the case! Thanks for the link; I'd have probably been stalled there a bit while trying to figure it out. Now almost everything is disassembled (still trying to get the bearings off the case) and I'm ready to start putting it all back together. I sure hope that goes smoother than this has...

I'm glad the links were helpful :) Good luck with the rest of the project !

Ivan

Back