• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LCA's

ZombiE

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone,

I am getting ready to order some Lower adjustable control arms. I have one question. How do you figure out how long to make them?

Ok I lied, question #2, if and when I go a little higher I will need Upper control arms also. How do you figure out how long to set them at also?

What point do you use for measurement or is all this done when the alignment is performed? Do you have to tell the guy doing the alignment that I replaced the control arms so he knows to adjust them to the correct lengths?

Wow had more questions than I thought! :)

Oh and I have my Jeep sitting at about 4"-4.5" of lift.

Thanks for the help,

Alex

You adjust the arms to the correct length before you put them on. If you ask the guy to do it at the alignment shop, he will either laugh, or charge you a bunch of money. Measure from center of bolt hole to center of bolt hole. The chart gets you in the ballpark, but some fine tuning will need to be done. As the chart shows, the UCA's are the same up to 4.5", but it does help to adjust them a little longer to help castor and relieve any bumpsteer. If you make adjustments after install, you have to unbolt one end (I found the axle end to be easiest) to make the adjustment. If you get RE adjustable arms, 3 full turns equal 1/4".:D

Thanks for the reply GottabeJeep, Sorry guys maybe I'm a little slow. I understand that you adjust them to the lengths in the chart, that is a "Ballpark" figure. Then what happens? When you take it to get an alignment do they "adjust" them any further? or is where you set the length to the final adjustment. Sorry guys, I just don't understand what happens after you install them. I know the alignment shop will set the caster, I think it's 0.0 isn't it. Or do they use the adjustment shims to get it there like on the stock arms?

Thanks for all that have tried to help an old guy missing more brian cells than beer cells :)

Alex

Most alignment shops only do the toe and won't touch your arms. They may use shims, but most places I have taken mine to won't even do that. You want your castor between 5 and 7*. Just set your arms to the length on the chart (however, I would make the uppers 15 1/8" for 4.5" lift), take the jeep to the shop, and get a printout of the alignment specs. The printout will/should show your before and after toe, castor, and camber. If your castor is between 5 and 7*, then leave it. I have used that chart as a guideline many times and it is very close. When you throw control arm drop brackets into the equation, then the numbers start to get interesting.

Thank you very much GottabeJeep. Now I understand. Ok since I have you in the lawn chair drinking with me now, is there a way to check your castor by yourself? So after I get an alignment, hang in there with me, let say it is out sitting at 9*. Then what? Adjust and then take it back for another alignment? Gotta be a way to check it yourself. I have searched and have went blind looking for an answer for this. :doh:

Alex

Back