• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing the Oem turbo muffler???

NatureRocks

NAXJA Forum User
With spring coming up, Im taking my 91' Jeep Cherokee Limited (that means cracked leather seats) under construction. I wanted to know if anyone has any take on removing the "turbo" muffler all together and replacing it with pipe to the cat. With that option I would plan on putting in a free flow cat converter. Has anyone done this, if so any pros or cons??? I know for sure it would sound great. I would hate the option of putting in a Flowmaster and banging it up on the rocks. Any help would be cool
Jeeps rock work sux

If you haven't done it, how can you be so sure it'll sound great?

I love the 4.0L engine, but it ain't never gonna sound like a V-8. No way, no how. Open pipes, stock mufflers, Cherry Bombs (glass packs), it seems like they all sound like an old lobster boat, just with varying degrees of loudness.

The ONLY exhaust I think sounds good on a 4.0L is a Gibson. I don't know what they do that's different from Flowmaster, but the Gibson has more resonance and actually makes the engine sound good.

i gotta flowmaster(50 series), it sounds ok but i wouldnt worry about "banging it up on the rocks" if you have ever held one you would notice there pretty heavy duty. if i hit mine it just pushes my floor board up instead of actually denting the muffler.

but i gotta ask, whats wrong with your stock exhaust? i would just leave it alone.

I run flowmaster with no cat on mine and it sounds grrreat. I replaced the cat just out of the flange with the flowmaster, no pipe and dumped it right out of the muffler. And I wouldn't worry about damaging it, it's tougher than any part your XJ ever came with.

Go Borla or go home!

heh

well, maybe not. but i really like my stainless steel borla cat-back and carsound hi flow stainless cat.

all around kick-ass setup

do a SEARCH though--exhaust system setups (pros and cons) are discussed at least once a month on here

borla may not be for you if you plan on smashing it agaisnt rocks all the time

i know a lot of guys on here have gone cheaper routes with this

check out rustys exhausts

CaptTrev

if your gonna wheel it...go cheap or go home!
on that note i will probably just cut out the muffler when i smash it too much anyways.... and i didnt know the "turbo muffler" was available on XJs.... i dont know about your state's regs but most states you cant remove the cat without being taken out back and shot.. too many people "belive" that the cat is a restriction.... when in reality it isnt on a stock or even mildly modified engine.... 'spensive to replace when it goes bad but so is an alternator.. but you still need both to have a properly running vehicle...

mike

Hey Mike, I don't know about Matchintwotits law, but here in the sticks, we don't have any vehicle inspection :)

And sure, a new cat won't cause much restriction if any, but an older vehicle can have years of crud built up that does cause restriction. The high quality gas some of these yokels around here sell might stop up a cat quicker than sh!t.

By the way, when did a cat cause a vehicle to run more properly than one without? Are you refering to newer dual O2 sensor vehicles with the sensor fore and aft of the cat. I guess in that situation this would be true, but on single sensor models the use or disuse of a cat doesn't make the engine run any better or worse.

Last edited:
Oh yeah I almost forgot, Cherokee Nation sells a TC skid that goes from one frame rail to the other. If I don't make one myself, I'm going with his skid because it will cover my muffler as well as my TC.

giteup

As far as the "Turbo" muffler, it comes OEM on ALL XJ's as far as I know. I plan on keeping the cat converter in, actually I plan of replacing it with a free flow type. But I plan on welding a thicker steel pipe to the output of the cat which will replace the stock muffler. With the cat on Ill remain emission legal but as far as the sound and the cons who knows but Im willing to give it a try. I do know about the possibility of unburned hydrocarbons leaving but besides that anything else
Jeeps rock and work still sux

Back