• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knock Knock- still there

asatxj

NAXJA Forum User
I just changed the trans fluid and filter. Trans has 215k. fluid was slightly dark but you could still tell it was red. Engine is newer and has 56k on it(oil full, good shape.3k change is next week). Problem is I still hear a slight knock lower rear, more audible on rt side. Seems to be in bell housing area. It only occurs at idle when warm. I thought that a fluid change would do it as I've read somewhere that a slight knock was often present when trans fluid was in need of replacement. Bottom end of motor was professionally inspected before it was installed and it was deemed to be in excellent shape. Anyone have any clues/ideas/pointers?
TIA

So I just pop the inspection cover and scope them out? Or is it more complex than that?

Thanks! I'm on it as soon as I can get in my father in law's shop!

asatxj said:
Thanks! I'm on it as soon as I can get in my father in law's shop!

Your flexplate could be cracked. Here is what mine looked like:

attachment.php

Once you take the cover off get what i believe is a 19mm wrench and put it on the crankshaft nut in front of the engine. Turn it clockwise and only clockwise. Its better to have a helper spin turning it clockwise while your looking for the bolts. Hope this helps.

thats what you can get if it goes too long.... im willing to bet you just have a few loose bolts.... get some locktight and pull out the bolts, clean them, and re-torque them.. if you have a long wide flatblade screwdriver you can turn the flexpalte from under the truck so you can line it up perfect.. i am NOT a fan of being under any vehicle while someone bumps the key to turn the engine.... just make sure you turn the engine the right way....

mike

sidriptide said:
thats what you can get if it goes too long....

Oh yea. I didn't replace it until 3 months after it started. Right when it started, I pulled it in my bay after work to determine the cause. You could tell then. It was also cracking towards the outside, but I didn't want to deal with it until I had to... BTW, it didn't separate in the jeep. I taped it out with a hammer to show the crack better.

I hope mine isn't ready to explode! It's only got 55k miles on it. I'll do the bolts with loctite and inspect it carefully. Since I did it with the engine out can I change it without pulling the engine or transmission?
Thanks a bunch guys. Nice to know it's an "after work some night" fix and not a disable it for a week project! I hope to try for Monday or Thursday this week. I'll bring the camera along so if I find some interesting stuff I can show ya.

Sorry about my wording about bumping the engine, should of said turn the engine with a wrench or srewdriver from the flywheel.
I would never let someone turn the eninge over using the key with some else under the vehilcle, bad mojo....

Alex

Back