• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission leak

mersco

NAXJA Forum User
i cant seem to hold any transmission fluid in. soon as i start driving it all starts coming out. it seems to be coming from the dip stick/fill tube. need help quick please. TIA

Mersco,

Take your XJ in and have the transmission pan pulled and changed the transmission filter, then refill with new ATF.

You may want to take it to a garage you trust and see what they have to say. I'd start there and if it still does it then I'd go to a transmission repair place.

Martin

i'm not sure what putting in new fluid and filter would do to stop your leak but maybe i'm missing something. 9 times out of 10 when theres fluid coming out of the bottom of the dipstick tube, the seal has been compromised. sometimes they have a o ring and sometimes they just slide in, at any rate just remove the bellhousing bolt that holds it in, clean it and the hole it goes in, hit it with some RTV and use a hammer and a block of wood to drive it home before tightening the bellhousing bolt back down.

It seems that there is usually an oring, from consensus around here. I've not had to replace one yet (touch wood!) but it looks like the hardest part would be getting the upper tube out in the first place.

Usual precaustions for orings apply - clean thoroly, don't scrap, lube before assembly, etc.

Problem is, if there is fluid coming from the dipstick tube at the joint (you didn't say...) that tends to be caused by overfilling.

If it's coming from the join at the pan, it's a grommet I've not had to look for yet. I am farily certain it would be in the OEMR parts book, but you can't use just anything for that grommet - hot ATF is antagonistic to regular rubber, and (I think!) most common polymers...

5-90

its at the joint where the to meet. Ive already replaced the o ring. it starts coming out after driving just a few minutes. i know that its not over full. its not getting hot and boiling over cause the fluid aint hot. i cant even get a mile up the road and the tranny is slippin real bad. i cant drive it till it gets fixed.

Steve2000xj said:
sounds like excess presure building up

Yep - I'm voting overfill, pressure, heat ..

Mersco - where on the fill tube is the fluid exiting -- how are you filling and checking levels -- and when does the "leaking" start (like standing in the driveway, or at highway speeds)?

Is it coming out of the top of the tube? Or is it coming out of the vent tube? If it is really pumping out, can be a sign of a blown 'O' ring/gasket on a clutchpack piston internally. Big problem you could say.

Back