• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

seanp

G

how has your frame rail by the steering gear box held up? mine is looking worse than yours was in JV after going to moab tow weeks ago.

what all did you do to put it backtogether and brace it?

hey brent.

If you recall I welded (ok crash welded!) a 2" x 1/4" strap along the bottom. This was about 10" long and covered that tear in the frame. I had to drill holes in it to give me acces to the sway bar bushing/mount. I also bent it to follow the bottom contour of the frame rail.

When I got home I got some 1/4" plate and welded it to both sides of the unibody rail and butt welded my tomken bumper mount to it so that my bumper had more surface area to mount to. These side pieces ended up being about 10-12" x 4" and I had to cut the contour of the frame rail into them (they ended up like a parallelogram if you follow me). I stichwelded these on about every other inch.

I also had to lay the steering box spacer on them to drill holes thru both, and ran longer grade 8 bolts thru the steel, the frame and into the steering box. Steering is rock solid and no more creaking noises.

how are things? You working yet? I see you have another XJ project underway.

SeanP

thats pretty much what I did to mine to fix it, but I haven't taken the time to find the holes for the sway bar yet :eek:

things are going ok, still no work I'm being rather picky on what I apply for, Yea I've got another project, and the best part about this one is I don't care about it if it comes appart :D

I ended up doing the same thing to mine before going to CO. The cracks in the bottom of the frame reappeared, between the track bar mount and the sway bar mount. I formed a piece of 1/4" strap, drilled holes for the sway bar mount, and welded it on. Interestingly, there was a small crack starting in the stock track bar frame mount. I never thought something like that would happen, the crack wasn't in a weld or a seam, the steel just started to tear. Thankfully we saw it while welding on the frame brace and it got welded up.

Brent, I hope to see you in Moab. :)

Richard G

[quote:1a6eb7434e="Goatman"]

Richard G[/quote:1a6eb7434e]
I hope to be there, atleast some of it, my b-day is the week before so I may have some leverage there :D

[quote:d599af9095="Goatman"]

Richard G[/quote:d599af9095]
I hope to be there, atleast some of it, my b-day is the week before so I may have some leverage there :D

Back