• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing a 4.0

trouble1

NAXJA Forum User
I found a 88 4.0 to swap into my 88 with a shot piston. It is sitting in front of a junkyard Jeep pretty well stripped. I removed the oil pan and checked out the bearings, rods, cylinder walls, bottom of pistons etc...It all appears to be fine. The rockers and etc are clean, noil gummy buildup around anything.
It is set up for a stick, as opposed to my auto, but I assume my auto stuff will bolt right up. Is there anything I should be looking for, or gremlins I might be coming up to...
By the way, i should point out I'm not doing this in a garage, but a camground...nothing but ordinary hand tools.
Anything in particular I need to replace while doing this???
Any advice would be appreciated as I've never tried this b-4.
Thanx, Dave

If the heads are still on and the other necessary parts, hook up a starter, some cable, a fresh battery and make a compression test. Acceptable compression is a good starting point. Bearings and compression would be hard to deal with in a parking lot, without special tools.

OK...I now have the "new" 4.0 in the back of the truck. I could not run a compression check on it due to lack of parts hooked up to it...but i dropped the oil pan and checked the crankshaft, pistons, cylinder walls, etc...everything loked really good, so its now mine. I went to Advanced and bought a new rear main seal, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket,manifold gaskets, RTV and a bunch of degreaser. Tommorrow I'll go to Jeep and pick up fuel injector o-rings, and the o-rings for the oil filter thingy...What else???

Last edited:
Back