• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Air Where?

KCI

NAXJA Forum User
Where Have You Guys Mounted Your Quick Air 2 Units? I Don't Want To Install It Under The Hood-need That Space For A Second Battery And I Don't Want To Expose The Compressor To The Heat, Dirt And Moisture. Just Need Some Optional Ideas From The Pros. Thanks In Advance.

What about dropping it in the hollow at the rear passenger side cargo area?

Yucca-Man said:
What about dropping it in the hollow at the rear passenger side cargo area?

You mean like this? :)

oba28.jpg

Its a Viair 400C but a QuickAirII should fit in the same spot. I would recommend the Viair however since it is a better compressor (cfm output) and the price is cheaper too.

I completed this a couple weeks ago but I still need to run the line for ARBs and I may install an additional tank under the jeep for more volume. After the ARBs are installed I will have a full write-up on my site.

oba23a.jpg

I have air hose couplings at each rear corner under the tail lights.
oba27.jpg

Illuminated dash gauge by 4x4 shifter. Switch is between the power outlet and rear wiper switch. Hard to see it in the photo but behind the dash gauge (near gas pedal) I installed a relief valve so I can bleed all the pressure out of the system from the drivers seat.
oba36.jpg

one thing that i have learn from running compressors on my lowrider for over 3 years is, i dont think that is a good spot unless there is good airflow through there. Compressors hate heat and this is what kills them. I would recommend that spot if you could mount a fan to blow some air on the compressor.

just my .02

Is that relief valve near the gas pedal also the low point of your system? You want to be able to purge the water that will build up under operation and I can see that draining onto your foot.

Chance makes a very good point about the heat/airflow issue; computer stores have some pretty good-sized fans you can mount in a box to force airflow over the compressor. Just make sure you allow a vent too - I've seen people build 'puters with huge intake fans and no venting. Ugh...

Got a source/price on that Viair?

(Threadjack) - from suicidedoors.com...
Tip of the day: Do not weld without a helmet, and your tongue hanging out of your mouth at the same time. Ever! hot slag will land on your tongue like it did mine. ouch!
BWAHAHAAAAA!!!!

I bought the compressor from http://www.central4wd.com/ at $210.

I'm not worried at all about the heat back there. The longest it would be running is 10 - 12 minutes to air up the tires. We'll see how it does come summer time. I met a guy who was running this compressor under the hood of his TJ and he did say he has to open the hood when airing up or the heat causes the thermal overload switch to shut it off.

Water... I've though about that but haven't been too concerned since I live in a state with very little humidity. I figure if I start seeing water passing into the yellow air hose when filling tires I'll plumb in a water trap somewhere (probably right before the tank is the best place I can think of). I don't mind a little water coming out the relief valve.

Very Nice Eric.

It's always taken me 30 minutes to fill 33s with a compressor, but they were crappy compressors. Burned up three of them and they were outside the vehicle. Now I use a powertank.

Not a Quickair... but an ARB... not many places for it to fit...

compres.jpg

Engine heat is a problem... but when it's pumping up tires, I pop the hood...

Got the air tank isolated with a valve along with a gage... so I don't have to fill it unless I want to pump up tires...

arbcontrol.jpg

Rear bumper's an airtank... 3.2 gallons...

r11.jpg

For airing up... I've got a contraption with two hoses... each end has a clip that locks on the valve stem... it goes to a manifold with a ball valve and a gage... I fill up the air tank (couple minutes)... hook up two tires... attach the air tank to the manifold and lay it on the ground... look at it every now and then until filled.... and repeat...

Back