• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power tank opinions

Silver Bullet

NAXJA Forum User
I am hoping to add a 10lb Powertank to my XJ this summer and was wondering what you guys think of them verse a regular ARB/Viar etc compressor. I thought the Powertank would be a better option becuase I could run tools off it and it seems to have the fastest tire inflation time.
Also how hard is it to find a shop to refill it, and what does the it cost.

Thanks
Silver Bullet

i have a line on a guy in RI who makes ""powertanks" by reconditioning old CO2 extinguishers and using a new CO2 regulator... 1/2 the price of a powertank setup.. a friend of mine has one and im geting one soon too... although i have no first hand experience, i have heard that CO2 doesnt do well with airtools and i assume its due to icing up.. but havent really loooked into it... pm me and ill get you some info,
mike

CO2 is fine w/ airtools - use a little extra oil to compensate for the condensation that forms from cooling/evaporation.

I've been the powetank regulator for a couple of years now and it's prety darn nice!

I don't have their fancy tank, though. Costs me $12 to exchange a 15lb tank at the local welder's supply.

power tank

the tank is not the key to using these things, as it's the high flow regulator that makes it really usable. They use a super high flow regulator that allows you to seat a tire on the bead and really use air tools. If all you are going to do is inflate tires after a trail ride then just get an oxygen regulator off an acetylene torch set and adapt the fittings. I did this and it works really well for the stated purpose. Also I own a Powetank (got a certificate for 50% off in the raffle at Moab!) and I luv it. It will run tools and seat a bead. Use whatever you think will work for your situation depending on your needs. HTH

can't speak for CO2 tanks but I do have the ARB compressor.Nice for the air lockers but super slow for tires. I have the tire pump up kit. Takes forever to get tires filled back up. The CO2 tanks are pricey for sure but are super fast and you can run air tools which is nice. Outback Extreme makes one for a lot less than powertank.
www.4x4rockshop.com
has them all so you can price them out. Juice

that is a pretty sweet setup. You just gave me some ideas. What was the cost for the tank and valve from the brewer? Juice

Thanks for the info and the links, I also think the Powertank is pretty expensive but it may be worth it over the compressors if they are that slow.

Silver Bullet

sjx40250 said:
WHat is the max preasure of the tank?

CO2 is not compressed gas, it's liquid. So your question isn't entirely relevant.

The regulator will show between 700-1000psi depending on how warm the tank is. This tank "pressure" is only the evaporated CO2 in the top of the tank and regulator.

CO2 tanks will read about the same until you run out(evaporate all the liquid), if the tank pressure on the reg. drops to 500psi or below, you probably don't have enough gas left to do one tire.

Now, if you're asking what the max output pressure of the regulator is - I think PT's new regs are up to 200psi. My older model goes up to 170psi IIRC.

Here's my setup.

I wonder what the tank used to be prior to being an "onboard air" ? :D

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Only bad thing is, I don't know much about it. A buddy built it for me. I don't even know where he got the mount for it :anon:

Like Danno said, the High flow/high volume regulator is key if you use the tank for long intervals.

We sell the powertank gear and it's as nice as it gets. period.

The you can put a kit together for less but if you want top shelf, all new stuff the PT gear is sweet.

Last weekend at the Maine Winter Rover Romp there were tons of guys running the Powertank Regulators and complete kits as well...it was below 0* saturday night and all sunday...two guys with the generic HF regs froze up airing up Sat and one airing up sunday....none of the PT guys had issues.

81.jpg

I got a 15lb tank from my local welding supply place for $25 with a free fill (they have too many because the 15lb is not a popular size anymore). 150 PSI regulator, a hose and quick disco fittings.. I'm set for less than $100. Powertank's ARE nice, but I got too good of a deal. It's not as pretty, but neither is my Jeep :)

Back