• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ SOA + ??? coils up front?

CheapXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm not as concerned about matching the height as I am matching effective spring rate.

so all you people runnin an MJ SOA in the rear, what coils are you running up front and how balanced is the suspension?

A little rake oughta help the departure angle anyways, so I wanna stick in the 3.5"-4.5" area up front. I'm thinking about using RE 3.5" ZJ coils or tomken 4" coils

What type of front links will you be using? If your going longarm, I'd look for a stiffer coil. I'm selling my 6.5" (to soft) and getting some of the 4.5" ZJ coils.

JnJ said:
What type of front links will you be using? If your going longarm, I'd look for a stiffer coil. I'm selling my 6.5" (to soft) and getting some of the 4.5" ZJ coils.
I'll be running the stock 4-link setup.

personally, I prefer a stiffer coil anyway, and I wanna keep it around 3.5"-4.5" up front.

i used to have RE 4.5" XJ coils (and 1.25 spacer) on the front of my MJ. it flexed perfectly balanced with the overload leaf removed from the rear. but that was with crappy LCAs that had poly-bushings in both ends, I think that better LCAs (Johnny Joint) would flex a bit better, so you should probably get ZJ coils to be a little stiffer.

I vote for 3.5" RE ZJ coils

I ran 4.5" RE XJ coils for a year and they were alot softer than the rear (running with the overload). Are you going to be running the full comanche rear pack with overload, or are you taking the overload out? If your taking the overload out, then i'd stay with some 4.5" xj coils. If you leave the overload in, run the zj coils. Im running the zj's right now with longarms and it is pretty well balanced.

i helped a guy lift his mj, we made the rear SOA then we used some chevy shackles ontop of that. we then used RE 5.5" zj coils and 2" spacers, the truck set really close to level (front lower then rear) but when you flex the rear did all the work. the front wasnt flexing as much as i thought it should. i think were going to add a leaf to his pack to try and stiffin it up just a tad.

if it matters he has upper and lower adjustable CA's HD trac bar and all that crap

hpi_jeep said:
i helped a guy lift his mj, we made the rear SOA then we used some chevy shackles ontop of that. we then used RE 5.5" zj coils and 2" spacers, the truck set really close to level (front lower then rear) but when you flex the rear did all the work. the front wasnt flexing as much as i thought it should. i think were going to add a leaf to his pack to try and stiffin it up just a tad.

if it matters he has upper and lower adjustable CA's HD trac bar and all that crap

that's because he has over 8" of lift with short arms!! of course it's not going to flex

and for the F-150 coils, they do give some lift, not sure how much, but the spring rate is much higher. could be what you want, but just be aware of the stiffness

the coils just werent compressing, i dont think that has to do with the short arms. they were drooping fairly good considering he was still running short arms.

I think it is partly due to the short arms that his coils werent flexing. I ran his exact same setup and after i fabbed the longarms, the uptravel seemed a little softer. Im sure this is because the axle didnt have to move forward in order to compress the coils.

My current setup is the 5.5" coils, a 2" spacer, and the stock MJ main leaf with 3 leafs from an F150 pack under that. This seems very balanced and am very happy with the spring rates. The ford springs arent as stiff as one would think. I also always have a 250lb worth of spare tire and toolbox in the bed, so im sure that can account for something.

CheapXJ said:
ok, I bit it hard and just bought some RE 4.5" ZJ coils for the beast...

let's see what happens now :scared:

There good coils. It should give you about 6" and settle to 5.5" or so. I ran these springs with 2" spacers on my xj, but am picking up from 8" skyjacker without spacers because my re springs are sagging abit. I'd get another set of re's, there right down the street from me, but I got the 8" skyjacker coils pretty cheap and they are practically new I've been told. Check at the coils that re uses for their soa mj lift. I think you will be good to go with the 4.5" zj coils, considering that the mj has longer shackles in the rear than an xj.

CheapXJ said:
ok, I bit it hard and just bought some RE 4.5" ZJ coils for the beast...

let's see what happens now :scared:

FYI, the RE ZJ 4.5" and their XJ 5.5" are both the same coil. They are the ones I have too. I have yet to install them though.

Back