• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

belt problems

wek91xj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, my old dry rotted belt blew on kme yesterday, and i was puttin on the new ony, and chiped the pulley in front of the power steering pump, far right (on a 91 xj) .... now i gotta get a new one, or hopefully find one at the junkyard... is there a certain name for this one... or what... how much do these things cost new? any help/advice is appriciated...its chipped on the outter edge/rim of the pulley, and there are still the 4-5 grooves that the belt fits on... could it still be used or should i go ahead and get a new one?

Thanks, wek91xj

If there are no cracks?

You can still run it if there are no cracks but It might come apart on you. Here is what I would do if it were mine. Carry a new spare belt and buy the pulley from the dealer. Its like 20-30 dollars. If it comes apart a socket set and those parts and you back in bussiness.

Rabbit

P.s if you want to change it before it comes apart you will probably need a gear puller and have to take the pump out of the vehicle.

Back