• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 shaft question

The_Rock

NAXJA Forum User
I've located a set of 96XJ inner and outer shaft used that I plan to put into my 91 D30 and hold on to my old 260 shafts as spares. Is there any problem with this swap? The 96 does not have anti-lock breaks. Will the U-joints still be 297 for that year? How can I tell what type of U-joint it is by looking at it?

Do you have a disconnect style front axle? If you do, you'll need to get a seal to install at the diff. U-joint caps on a 297x series are distinctly larger than a 260x.

Look for the vacuum disco on the passenger side of the axle.

I do not have a disconect axle. If I measure my caps and the used 96 caps are larger then they should be 297 U-joints? Sound right?

]
do not have a disconect axle. If I measure my caps and the used 96 caps are larger then they should be 297 U-joints? Sound right?

Yes.

But, heres a snipit that Ive found helpful:

260 Cap diameter=1.06"

297 Cap diameter=1.18"

Great thanks, I'll take my caliper along to pick them up if they 297s. Should the 96 shafts slip right in to the 91? I plan to use my existing uni-bearings.

You've established you have a non-disco axle. This is good.

The 96 axles should just slide right into place. You're avoiding (potential) trouble by ignoring the hubs. Non-disco axles, ignoring the 260 vs. 297 u-joints, are pretty much identical.

Back