• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock air intake box

Atl XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, this question has probably been asked before so bear with me here.

I have a 95 XJ 4.0l with the stock intake box (minus the air horn restrictor thing). The bottom of the air intake on the front has a rectangular opening that the air flows into. What I don't understand is in front of the air intake box there is a plastic plate on the body. Its kind of behind the headlight. Anyway, it looks like if this plastic piece were removed I would get more air flow into the intake. Is this a good idea? It looks like its only held in by a few screws. Sometimes I'm not very good at explaining things so I can explain better if necessary.:dunno:

Okay, I just read that it has something to do with emmisions and making the engine warm up better is this correct? Will it give me any better air flow or should I just leave it on. I do get emmissions tested, but I could always just put it one before my test. I don't really see how that could make a difference on an emmisions test though.

Atl XJ said:
Okay, I just read that it has something to do with emmisions and making the engine warm up better is this correct? Will it give me any better air flow or should I just leave it on. I do get emmissions tested, but I could always just put it one before my test. I don't really see how that could make a difference on an emmisions test though.
HI, Read your post about the plate that is bolted, it's just a plastic plate that is held in place with 2 metal screws.I removed it on my 97 4.0. Didn't see any terffic differince but what'sthat little bit of air haven't noticed any difference even during cold weather this winter. [email protected]

I wouldn't think it would cause you to fail an emissions test. I have the airbox completely removed and run a cone filter and have passed emission tests.

I run the same setup as Barger. I removed the plate due to the same concerns you had regarding air flow. I'd remove it. It seems silly to put that right in front of the air box ventilation hole. You have nothing to lose except about 10 minutes of your life installing/unstalling it.

Barger said:
I wouldn't think it would cause you to fail an emissions test. I have the airbox completely removed and run a cone filter and have passed emission tests.

I'm thinking the same thing. I think that the only way it reduces emmisions is by a faster warm up time. Plus, it seems like the air going in the intake would be cooler=more hp. Probably not a big difference in hp, but with the restrictor in the air box removed and my k&n drop in it might be like 5 hp or something. Who knows.

Back