• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AWE 4 (2wd, AW4) questions.

AaronXJ

NAXJA Forum User
are the 1990 4.0L and 2.5L the same? can you put a 4L tranny in a 4 banger?

It's possible but so is dropping a 440 in it. :laugh:

What are you trying to do/accomplish with the swap?

new to me XJ dead tranny, have spare 6 cyl from 94 (when i did my 4WD swap.) tranny from my XJ.. so i am abanding the MJ tranny swap project until my DD is running 100%.. just bout the XJ about 2 weeks ago, there was no signs that the tranny was bad but it generaded on the way home.. 4 cyls get better gas milage, that is whyi use them for daily drivers.

The 4-cyl never used the AW-4 tranny. The 6-cyl bell housing is larger and has a different bolt pattern, so you cannot bolt a complete AW-4 and bell housing to a 4-cyl engine.

I don't know if it's possible to adapt an AW-4 to the 4-cyl auto bell housing. In fact, I don't even know if the 4-cyl auto HAS a separate bell housing. Even if you can get the tranny to mate to the bell housing, you would probably have to do something to adjust the length of the input shaft.

I know it sounds tempting to use what you already have available, but in this case I don't think it's a good solution.

Back