• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another long arm ?

shimmy

NAXJA Forum User
so i've heard of different long arm systems, Rusty's, RE, etc... Some of the kits require welding onto the unidbody structure. i've heard this is bad. whats everyone's thoughts. besides road handling improvement, do long arm kits flex much better on the trail...?

brandon

Its debatable which one flexes better on the trail. A PROPERLY set up short arm system is capable of just as much flex as a long arm setup with in reasonable lift heights. Once you get really tall, keeping the short arms becomes a problem because of the attaching points of a short arm are so close to the axle. As the lift increases the axle moves away from the body creating an excessave angle of the link in its stock location even with drop brackets assuming your lift height is over 8" or more.

AARON

shimmy said:
so i've heard of different long arm systems, Rusty's, RE, etc... Some of the kits require welding onto the unidbody structure. i've heard this is bad. whats everyone's thoughts. besides road handling improvement, do long arm kits flex much better on the trail...?

brandon

Those that don't know how to weld will say it's bad for the unibody. Those who have looked will notice that hte unibody is welded together from the factory. I would be concerned however the method and joint design that's to be welded to the unibody. so far though the kits that require welding have done a satisfactory job at joint design and I don't know that there has been any failures.

Ok well I can think of one with Rockkrawlers kit. but that was due to poor design.

Back