• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Heater Core

Capt. Nemo

NAXJA Member #904
'88 XJ, A/C, and a heater core that blew antifreeze all over the pass. side floor. SO...

I've started tearing apart the dash, and I can't find how to get the thing out. Any help??? I've got a new core waiting to be put in, and I'm ready to be warm in the morning, but this thing has me stumped...

The Chilton and Haynes manual do a decent job of outlining the job. You will have to first remove the refrigerant out of the AC system, then remove the evaporator, then you will be able to gain access to the heater core.

Once you have the new on installed you will have to reassemble the AC system. I suggest new seals and a new receiver dryer.

The XJ is 80s style modular, they keep the heater the same w or w/o AC and AC was added on once the heater was installed.

I still need to change my out due to age but hear it is a pain of a job and some people say it worth paying to have it done.

Capt. Nemo said:
'88 XJ, A/C, and a heater core that blew antifreeze all over the pass. side floor. SO...

I've started tearing apart the dash, and I can't find how to get the thing out. Any help??? I've got a new core waiting to be put in, and I'm ready to be warm in the morning, but this thing has me stumped...

The heater core housing is held together in part by a plastic strap, the kind that is used to strap freight down. That strap must be cut in order to remove and separate the box. Remove the nuts in the engine bay on the firewall opposite the box, disconnect the heater control cable, there will be a clip near where this cable attaches to the box that must be removed and there will also be 3 screws that retain the blower housing that must be removed. If you have a Chiltons or FSM it will be helpful, pics there.

XJguy

Walk a mile in my shoes.

When I did mine I did not have to deal with the A/C as it was already trashed. I cut the bottom valance of the dash and loosened the dash bolts....it went pretty quick. Still a pain, on a "good" vehicle I would pay to have it done.

Rev

although Ive never tried it- I believe those dash`s rotate down, then pull out after you release the wire mess and duct hoses-- I remember something about two big bolts on each side that go into the fenderwell/kickpanel area that you loosen-then rotate the dash down to gain access to wires.
i`ll have to pull my books out, see if i can find it.

I guess I'll have to break down and buy a repair manual. If the A/C needs to be recharged, then I don't really have to worry about the refridgerant, do I?

The a/c doesn't work at all. What would it cost to convert it to 134? I know some seals have to be changed and the entire thing basically cleaned out, but what would the cost invlove?

Back