• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what kind of gas milage does everyone get?

bonestk90

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if I could squeeze any more miles from a gallon of gas cause out here it is two bucks a gallon. the first tank I checked it got about 17 mpg, the second tank I had the trans set to comfort and it got 18.5, is this good and can I squeeze any more out of it. where is the best place to run the timing? Any advice much appriciated. thanks,

Chad Patten

mine runs between 18.1 and 19.5.... I'm happy for now..

bonestk90 said:
I was wondering if I could squeeze any more miles from a gallon of gas cause out here it is two bucks a gallon. the first tank I checked it got about 17 mpg, the second tank I had the trans set to comfort and it got 18.5, is this good and can I squeeze any more out of it. where is the best place to run the timing? Any advice much appriciated. thanks,

Chad Patten

My '87 runs about the same. I hate gas prices in California.

8700XJS

I get in the 24mpg range right now in the MJ- but its a 2wd with stock tires-
shes getting worn in- I used to pop the magic 28mpg on long trips down to florida. The old Xj that i did have years back was a 28/30 miser with 30in tires and 4wd on the long trips-

good oil, lots of it- normal gas, and sane driveing is the key.

My 87 4.0 with automatic used to get about 22-23, a feat my stick-shift 95 has yet to duplicate, but mileage fell off on the throughways, and I rarely broke 20 on trips. Now I get about 19- 20 under the same normal conditions, but 21-22 on long trips without trailers, bicycles, etc.

Matthew Currie said:
My 87 4.0 with automatic used to get about 22-23, a feat my stick-shift 95 has yet to duplicate, but mileage fell off on the throughways, and I rarely broke 20 on trips. Now I get about 19- 20 under the same normal conditions, but 21-22 on long trips without trailers, bicycles, etc.
OURS RUNS AROUND 18.7 in city & 23.9 on trips this is on 97 cherokee, keep tabs on tire pressure, keep it tuned up. dale---ohio
[email protected] THIS IS ON A 4.0

do a search--i know this has been discussd a lot in the past.

my 96 4.0 with 31s and stock gears gets at best 17 mpg highway

around town it isnt so good...i dont really wantto think about it too much to put an actual number to it though :tears:

My 95 XJ 4.0L AW4 gets 18 mpg city/hwy driving and 20-22 on the hwy depending on how fast I go and conditions. Its very well maintained and I have stock tires and gears. :cool:

Keep one thing in mind when trying to figure mileage in winter...air density. If my auto theroy is correct, a more colder and denser intake charge will produce better horsepower(thats been proven), but, at the cost of more fuel used. Your computer is constantly measuring the amount of air/fuel it takes in and uses. If the incoming air is more dense(heavier/thicker), the computer is going to balance that with a proper mixture of fuel for the best combustion ratio, which results in less efficient mileage during colder temps. My XJ's mileage blows right now. I'm inbetween 12-15 mpg at best city/highway. In the summer, I get anywhere from 20-25 mpg. No difference/change in tire pressure, oil weight, load, etc.

Back