• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee Barke Interlock question????

Jeepin' Rob

NAXJA Forum User
We have a '90 XJ that has had the brake - auto transmission interlock added per the factory recall. This is the one that ensures you have your foot on the brake before shifting out of park. I now cannot get the tranmission to shift out of park with the brake depressed. I suspect the interlock system but there are no details on my '90 XJ factory service manual. I have done the obvious and looked for loose connections etc without success. Does anyone know how this works? Our XJ is stuck in the driveway!!!

Thanks in advance

The interlock is a POS in my opinion, but we all know about opinions right? There is a work around if the interlock is indeed the problem. Turn the jeep off, then turn the key to the first click. Then shift out of park, and then start the Jeep. The first click unlocks the steering, but doesn't power up the Jeep, and allows the shifter to move past the interlock position. This is all assuming that the problem lies with the interlock itself. I suspect the problem is with the brake light switch. Check the wires going to it and make sure they are all attached.

Sorry, that explanation sounds clear as mud. I hope you can follow my mindless ramblings.

Bryan

I had a similar problem on my 88 XJ with that recall. I ended up taking it back to the dealer and they reinstalled the recall, the mechanic said the recall had not been installed correcly the first time.

It not a well known fact but recalls have lifetime/unlimited mile warranties so Chrysler on the hook to fix it. I had a burned out solinoid which messed up the interlock cable.

I did end up replacing the shift and the handle with the release button was worn and the center rod through the middle of the shifter was also worn. You have to buy the entire shifter, the center rod is not available as a seperate part.

But take it back to the dealer, it is their problem to fix. Don't mess around doing it yourself. When you take it in make sure to say "I think the lifetime warrantied shift interlock recall is messed up". You will get the line "you will have to pay for an hour to figure it out" and you will say "I'll pay that IF IT NOT the shift interlock otherwise Chrysler is paying for it". If you doubt me call the 800 number for Jeep and ask them to confirm the lifetime warranty. The 800 number people are the ones who told me about recalls are warrantied forever.

Back