• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New gauges

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
I did the idiot light to gauge conversion on my 98XJ this afternoon and it is just sooooo nice to finally have a bit more information instead of idiot lights :clap: I need to keep reminding myself to watch the road :D

How hard was it?? I am about to do the same. I can't wait to have some actual readings on the levels of my jeep. All info is appreciated-----Kyle

Easier than I thought, I have a 98SE and used a gauge cluster from a 97, the only difference was the 'security' and 'low washer fluid' are reversed on the clusters so as soon as I plugged it in the 'low washer' light came on so I removed the bulb. Now that I think about it I will put the bulb back in the 'security' hole and when my fluid is low the 'security' light will come on instead.
Disconnect battery first, I waited ~20 min before I really started, wanted that air bag system nice and discharged :D
Step 1: Remove center bezel
Step 2: Remove knee blocker, 3 screws under then pull the plastic cover off top.
Remove the two screws that hold the steel plate on under that plastic knee panel after you get it off.
Setp 3: Reach around the left side and feel around the headlight switch in the back side for a push button, depress it and pull the light switch button straight out.
Step 4: Under the steering wheel there is a rubber 'neck thing' seperate it at the bottom, it slides apart.
Step 5: Locate and remove 8 phillips screws that hold that whole outside trim piece that surrounds the top of the dash, it has a couple of push lock pins in there so look for them, one on the left and one on the right.
Step 6: Wiggle gently twist the trim piece off and set it aside.
Step 7: Remove the 4 screws that hold the instrument cluster in, remove the cluster.
Setp 8: Insert the new cluster and reverse the previous 6 steps.
The gauge panel has self seating self docking plugs in it so just gently guide it in.
Done....
What I forgot to do the first time, record the old idiot light panels odometer so I put the idiot light panel back in and recorded it then reinstalled the gauge panel.
On first powerup I reclined the drivers seat with me in it 'just in case' there was some incompatability thing that by some stretch of the imagination [or the god murphy] the air bags deployed when I turned the key.

Odometer thing: The odometer on the 98 idiot light panel was 192.xxx, the odometer on the gauge panel is 152,xxx or something, it did not reset to the jeeps computer milage but kept its own. Going to open the idiot light panel and see if it's just a chip change to move one milage over to another. Plus I wanted one to experiment with using a bunch of stewart warner phase III gauges I have laying around from a couple of my past cars that I no longer have.

Senders: Aparently the 97+ XJ's all use the same senders, I did not need to change any, my old gas gauge did not work correctly and this new one is no different, it would require replacing the fuel pump sender to get it accurate but at least I don't have a mungo 4" gauge waving round anymore, now it's just a 1" that does it :D

Last edited:
btt........I will need this in a few days and don't want to search for it ;)

I just recently installed glow guage inserts on my '97 Cherokee sport w/o the idiot lights. I got them from www.4x4mods.com. Great place to get a nice euro look without having to spend an arm and a leg. Anyway, the install was very easy. I didn't have to disconnect the battery at all, although I dont know if i took a risk when i did that. Obviously my airbag didnt deploy when i removed the guage cluster. On a 97 and up model jeep cherokee there are only about 8 screws to deal with in the first place. everything else is held in with snaps. as for the guage bezel, it can be a little tricky to get out, but dont let that stop you. the headlight knob is a tight fit through the bezel, but it will pop through with the correct amount of fanesse. No biggy. Hope this helps.

-Hunter

RichP said:
Odometer thing: The odometer on the 98 idiot light panel was 192.xxx, the odometer on the gauge panel is 152,xxx or something, it did not reset to the jeeps computer milage but kept its own. Going to open the idiot light panel and see if it's just a chip change to move one milage over to another.

RichP, did you find out if you need to change a chip or if there's any way to change the mileage back to normal? I have pretty low miles on mine and want to keep it that way when i switch out my guages next week...
Also, any other problems that you ran into later?
Thanks.

Osprey413 said:
I didn't have to disconnect the battery at all, although I dont know if i took a risk when i did that. Obviously my airbag didnt deploy when i removed the guage cluster.
Yup, you took a risk. Airbags are familiar to me as a former Aviation Ordnanceman...they're deployed by an electrically-actuated cartridge. Static shock can fire them, and they're always pointed at you and should be considered loaded. Deployment at close range (you leaning over the steering wheel to unhook the dash) can be fatal. Glad you're still here to tell us about your experiences.

jeo said:
RichP, did you find out if you need to change a chip or if there's any way to change the mileage back to normal? I have pretty low miles on mine and want to keep it that way when i switch out my guages next week...
Also, any other problems that you ran into later?
Thanks.

I have not gone back in to look at it, the two new TJ's have been keeping me busy as well as some unexpected system builds that came in with a 'rush needed them yesterday' on them. Going to be a while till I get back to it, getting ready to tear down my deck in preperation for a new addition that I will get a garage of some sort out of :D .
Otherwise it has been working flawlessly [knock on wood].... cept for the gas gauge but thats a sender problem that I had before.

Back