• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor Guys....Please Help....

trouble1

NAXJA Forum User
Since this is my first post, I'll make it good...I'm travelling in a (88 4.0 ) XJ pulling a little camper trailer. I'm currently in FL, on my way to SC. I overheated suddenly, and by the time I got pulled over, something major happened. I'm leaking oil, and have oil around the valve cover gasket. It blew all kinds of "stuff" thru the CCV tube into the air cleaner, if i remove the oil fill and rev it up, smoke blows out the oil fill hole, thing smokes REALLY bad. If anyone can put any inputy in here, I'd be really appreciative. I got the rig into a motel parking lot, but, must get it fixed tommorrow. Thanks

It lost all kinds of coolant....It spiked the gauge b-4 i could get pulled over...by the time i got pulled over it was boiling out. It's about 1/2 a quart low of oil, but that looked about what i could see around the engine compartment and under the jeep.

If it lost coolant under load, it might have gotten hot enough to melt a hole in one of the pistons.

Can you borrow a compression tester from a parts store and run a compression check?

Somehow oil had to have gotten pushed under pretty heavy pressure to the upper end of the engine if it pushed it all out around the valve cover. Im with Eagle thinking its in the piston area. Run a comp. test if u can and refill the coolant and oil and try runnin it to see where everything is comming from.

Well its not good, in fact its very bad. Your gonna have to replace it if you want to get anywhere or else your gonna have the same problem as soon as you start out again.

Let's not panic. Good old blow-by can push a tremendous amount of oil all over the place. If the CCV (closed crankcse ventilation) tube gets clogged, normal driving pressurizes the crankcase and pushes oil fumes and oil from the head out any joint or orifice that isn't sealed. I can attest that it blows oil out around what appeared to be a perfectly good oil fil cap in the valve cover.

So it may not be time to send old Nelly to the glue factory. Get the compression readings and let's see if they hold a clue.

Edit

trouble1 said:
Since this is my first post, I'll make it good...I'm travelling in a (88 4.0 ) XJ pulling a little camper trailer. I'm currently in FL, on my way to SC. I overheated suddenly, and by the time I got pulled over, something major happened. I'm leaking oil, and have oil around the valve cover gasket. It blew all kinds of "stuff" thru the CCV tube into the air cleaner, if i remove the oil fill and rev it up, smoke blows out the oil fill hole, thing smokes REALLY bad. If anyone can put any inputy in here, I'd be really appreciative. I got the rig into a motel parking lot, but, must get it fixed tommorrow. Thanks

EDIT: Today I checked the compression. #1 registerd a big fat 0
#2-8 registered 120 psi give or take about 3 psi.
Thanks

Back